Kevin Crist joined Ohio University in 1994. Kevin is a Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, and the Director of the Air Quality Center at Ohio University and served on the leadership team for the Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs at Ohio University. In addition, he is one of the founding members of Ohio University’s Consortium for Energy, Economics and the Environment (CE3). Before joining Ohio University, he had 12 years of experience working for industry and a research laboratory; including Los Alamos National Laboratory, Conoco Oil Company, Texas Instruments and the Quaker Oats Company.
Energy and the environment have been identified as one of the core strengths or focus area for Ohio University’s research efforts. The Center for Air Quality, directed by Crist, plays a central role in that mission. The Center as part of the Institute for Sustainable Energy and the Environment (ISEE) and the Consortium for Energy Economics and the Environment (CE3) has been addressing energy and environmental issues in the state and region. This includes research on several key air quality and energy issues involving mercury, ozone, fine particulate matter, pesticides and carbon.
Crist has an active research portfolio and has been instrumental in securing over 60 research contracts and projects worth over $6 million from industry, and funding agencies such as the Department of Energy, U.S. EPA, Ohio EPA and the Ohio Air Quality Development Authority.
Research Interests: In the area of environmental sustainability which includes air quality modeling, emission modeling and assessment and monitoring.
Research Interests: Air Quality, Chemical Engineering, Pollution
All Degrees Earned: Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Iowa, 1994; M.S., Industrial Hygiene, Texas A&M University, 1983; B.S., Chemistry, University of Northern Iowa, 1981.
Journal Article, Academic Journal (17)
- Grant, S., Kim, M., Lin, P., Crist, K., Gosh, S., Kotamarthi, R. Mercury Deposition in the Great Lakes: Local sources, Global Background and China Emissions. Atmospheric Environment.
- Grant, S., Crist, K. Predicted from Aerosol Optical Depth and Local Meteorological in two urban cities Ohio. Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association.
- Gosh, S., Lin, P., Kim, M., Crist, K., Grant, S. Simulation of Atmospheric Mercury with CMAQv4.7.1: Comparison with Observations. Atmospheric Environment.
- Asrar, F., Wen, A., Newman, C., Bukley, A., Crist, K., Irwin, D. (2015). Remote Sensing and Fracking - Innovative Approaches to Monitor Environmental Pollutants. Nature.
- Biswass, J., Crist, K., Ghosh, S. (2015). Assessment of Selective Reduction Strategies over Northeastern Regions of Ohio Using a Photochemical Grid Model—A Case Study. Atmospheric and Climate Sciences; 5: 106-119.
- Grant, S., Kim, M., Lin, P., Crist, K., Ghosh, S., Kotamarthi, R. (2014). A simulation study of atmospheric mercury and its deposition in the Great Lakes. Atmospheric Environment; 94: 164-172.
- Crist, K., Liu, B., Kim, M., Deshpande, S., John, K. (2008). Characterization of Fine Particulate Matter in Ohio: Indoor, Outdoor, and Personal Exposures. Environmental Research; 106: 62-71.
- Drewniak, B., Kotamarthi, V., Streets, D., Kim, M., Crist, K. (2008). Estimates of mercury flux into the United States from non-local and global sources: Results from a 3-D CTM simulation . Atmospheric Chemistry & Physics Discussion; 8: 19861-19890.
- John, K., Karnae, S., Crist, K., Kim, M. (2007). Analysis of Trace Elements and Ions in Ambient fine Particulate Matter at Three Elementary Schools in Ohio. J. of AWMA; 57: 394-406.
- KIm, M., Deshpande, S., Crist, K. (2007). Source Apportionment of Fine Particulate Matter (PM2.5) at a Rural Ohio River Valley Site. Atmospheric Environment; 41: 9231-9243.
- Reddy, Y., Crist, K., Fahrni, J., Kim, M., Winter, S. (2006). Mercury, PM2.5 and Gaseous Co-Pollutants in theOhio River Valley Region: Preliminary Results From the Athens Supersite. Atmospheric Environment; 40: 6650-6665.
- Connell, D., Winter, S., Conrad, V., Kim, M., Crist, K. (2006). The Steubenville Comprehensive Air Monitoring Program (SCAMP): Concentrations and Solubilities of PM2.5 Trace Elements and Their Implications for Source Apportionment and Health Research. J of AWMA; 56: 1750-1766.
- Morrone, M., Crist, K. (2004). Geographic Differences in Parental Perception of Child Health. Journal of Children’s Health; 2: 77-86.
- Tang, W., Raymond, T., Wittig, B., Davidson, C., Pandis, S., Robinson, A., Crist, K. (2004). Spatial variations of PM2.5 during the Pittsburgh Air Quality Study. S2. Aerosol Science and Technology; 38: 80-90.
- Crist, K. (2004). Spatial Variations of PM2.5 during the Pittsburgh Air Quality Study. Aerosol Science & Technology. S2. Aerosol Science & Technology; 38: 77-86.
- Anderson, R., Martello, D., White, C., Crist, K., John, K., Modey, W., Eatough, D. (2004). The Regional nature of PM2.5 Episodes in the Upper Ohio River Valley. J. of Air & Waste Management Association; 54: 972-984.
- Crist, K., Anderson, R., Martello, D., White, C., John, K., Eatough, D. (2004). The Regional Nature of PM2.5 Episodes in the Upper Ohio River Valley. Journal of Air & Waste Management Association. 8. Journal of Air & Waste Management Association; 54: 971-984.
Journal Article, Professional Journal (1)
- Crist, K., Carmichael, G., John, K. (1994). UV-B exposure and atmospheric ozone: evaluation of radiative flux to changes in ambient ozone levels. 3. Journal of Hazardous Materials; 37: 527-538.
Conference Proceeding (4)
- Kim, M., Crist, K., John, K., Kadakia, A. (2008). Modeling Study of Elemental Mercury Depletion during Plume Episodes in Ohio River Valley.. 19th IASTED International Conference:Modeling and Simulation; 620: 53-58.
- Crist, K., Crawford, C., Khosah, R., John, K., Kim, M. (2005). Development of a Database and an Analytical Tool for the Management and Visualization of Air Pollutant Data. Chicago, IL: proceedings Environmental Data Analysis – Assessing Health and Environmental Impacts, Developing Policy and Achieving Regulatory Compliance.
- Reddy, Y., Fahrni, J., Kim, M., Crist, K., Winter, S. (2005). Mercury Transport and Deposition in Ohio River Valley Region: Measurements at a Rural Super Site in Athens, Ohio. Minneapolis MN: proceedings AWMA Annual Conference & Exhibition.
- Xie, H., Crist, K., Young, V. (2000). PM2.5 in Southeastern Ohio. Kalamazoo, MI: 23rd Annual Midwest Environmental Chemistry Workshop.