In the 1950's, the need for veterans returning from the Second World War to afford educational opportunities increased. To accommodate this need, a series of regional campuses of the State University System of Ohio began to emerge. Ohio University would have the dubious honor of trying to provide educational programs and courses throughout southeast Ohio, an area representing almost one third of the state. The city of Martin's Ferry became the initial location of the University Campus established in eastern Ohio. Under the leadership of the Belmont County Commission and Consolidated Coal, over 330 acres of land were dedicated along the National Road near St. Clairsville as an educational site on what was once an experimental agricultural farm.
It was the vision of then Governor James Rhodes to have a post-secondary educational facility located within 30 miles of every resident in Ohio. Shannon Hall, the main academic building on the campus, was named after an early governor in the state, and as educational opportunities increased in the area, a science and engineering building was leased to Belmont College, and a Health and Physical Education Center was established in 1997, completing the present-day setting of the campus. The grounds are also home to a one-room schoolhouse, an 1800's tavern/roadhouse used by those traveling the National Road, and a covered bridge on the eastern side of the campus property.
The mission of Ohio University Eastern is to provide access to affordable and high-quality educational opportunities to residents of the Upper Ohio Valley. As a regional campus of Ohio University, our students benefit from the resources of an internationally recognized university with the advantages of a small college environment. The campus offers associate and bachelor degrees and opportunities for continuing education taught by dedicated and accomplished faculty in small classes. Ohio University Eastern is dedicated to enriching the cultural, physical, and professional well-being of the community.