· PhD, Higher Education Administration, Ohio University, 1988
· MS, Physical Education/Athletic Training, Ohio University, 1983
· BS, Physical Education/Athletic Training, West Virginia University, 1982
· Epidemiology of sports-related injury
· Evidence-based practice
· Certification and licensure issues
· Orthopedic diagnosis
· Therapeutic interventions
· Rausch, M., Simon, J., Starkey C., & Grooms, D.R. (2018). Smartphone Virtual Reality to Increase Clinical Balance Assessment Responsiveness. Physical Therapy in Sport, 32, 207–211. DOI: 10.1016/j.ptsp.2018.05.017
· Martinez, A., Grooms, D., Simon, J., & Starkey, C. (2017). A comparison of the Diagnostic Accuracy of Three Diagnostic Tests for ACL Lesions. Journal of Sports Medicine and Allied Health. 3(1). DOI: 10.25035/jsmahs.03.01.06
· Morris, K., Simon, J., Grooms, D., Starkey, S., Dompier, T., & Kerr, Z. (2017). The Epidemiology of Overuse Conditions in Youth Football and High School Football. Journal of Athletic Training. 52(10): 976-981. https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-52.10.04
· David, S., Gray, K., Russell, J., & Starkey, C. (2016). The Ottawa Ankle Rules over-predict the need for radiographs when applied in the acute setting. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 25(1):48-51. DOI: 10.1123/jsr.2014-0253.
· 2007-2019 High School Services Contracts
Awards and Honors
· Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education. Pete Koehneke Award. October 2018.
· Starkey C. Parallel Paths. The Canadian Athletic Therapist Association (Keynote Address). Quebec City, Ontario Canada. 3 June 2018.
· ’49 Club – The Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association Hall of Fame. January 2017.
· West Virginia University College of Physical Activity and Sports Sciences Hall of Fame. October 2016.
· National Athletic Trainers' Association Hall of Fame. Class of 2009.
· NATA Foundation, Inc. Fellow status awarded. March 2008.
· Board of Certification: Dan Libera Service Award for outstanding contributions to the development of athletic trainer certification. Anaheim, CA, June 2007.
· National Athletic Trainers’ Association Sayers “Bud” Miller Distinguished Educator Award, April 2006.
· National Athletic Trainers’ Association Most Distinguished Athletic Trainer Award. April, 2006.
· Eastern Athletic Trainers’ Association. Cramer Award. January, 2005.
· National Athletic Trainers’ Association Professional Service Award. March, 2001.
· OATA Legislative Committee, Member, 2007-Present
· CAATE Board of Commissioners, 2011-2018
· NATA Education Council, Chair, 1997-2005
· NATA Board of Certification, Member, 1991-1997