In honor of Dr. Francine C. Childs, the first tenured African American professor at Ohio University (OHIO) and longtime stalwart for social justice and equality, this award represents the most prestigious diversity honor bestowed upon an OHIO student. Recipients will be individuals who promote the principles of social justice, leadership, cultural diversity and service to the campus and/or region.
Dr. Francine C. Childs is Professor Emerita in the Department of African American Studies at OHIO where she has served in various capacities, including but not limited to curriculum chair (1974–1996), director of summer programs (1975–1978) and department chairperson (1984–1989). This award is named in her honor to recognize and celebrate her significat contributions to the university, her leadership in academia and her role as a change catalyst in the lives of OHIO students.
Student candidates can be nominated by any student, faculty, staff or alumnus, must be classified as a n undergraduate (i.e. junior or senior) and should have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Nominees are required to complete a brief application for further consideration and must be able to demonstrate ways he/she has advanced instututional diversity goals, including:
• Evidence of commitment to diversity through campus and community involvement,
• Evidence of leadership in advancing social justice and equality,
• Evidence the nominee has instilled the value of diversity in others.
Nominations must be electronically submitted by 5:00pm, Monday, January 30, 2012 to email@example.com. The following information is required to complete the nomination process:
• Recommender Information — Name, Title, Address, Phone, Email, and Relationship to Nominee;
• Nominee/Applicant Information — Name, PID Number, Campus Address, Phone, Major/College, Email, Oak ID, Year in College, and Grade Point Average.
A subcommittee of the University Diversity Commission will review applications and select the recipient. Award will be presented at the 29th Annual Leadership Awards Gala May 23rd, 2012.