Search within:

Non-Degree Seeking

To apply as a non-degree student, applicants must complete the Non-Degree Application and return it to the Admissions Office. There is no fee for applying as a non-degree student.

Please read the following information prior to completing the non-degree application.

Who should complete the non-degree student application?

  1. Non-degree Students: A student who wishes to carry a limited number of courses at the University during the regular academic year and DOES NOT want to earn an undergraduate degree from Ohio University.
  2. Teachers Seeking Certification: A college graduate who wants teacher certification through Ohio University's College of Education.
  3. Graduate Students Taking Undergraduate Courses: An applicant to a graduate program at Ohio University who needs to take undergraduate courses before admission to or registration in a graduate program.
  4. Summer Students Continuing Registration: A student who completed a summer only application but wants to continue to register for classes during the regular academic year as a non-degree student.
  5. Transient Students: A transient student is one who intends to take courses at Ohio University for credit and then transfer them to another institution.
  6. International Applicants: Any student who holds or will hold a temporary visa should contact International Admissions, Chubb Hall 125.

Who should not complete this application?

  1. Students looking to pursue a degree at Ohio University
  2. Former or current Ohio University students
  3. Students who have been denied admission to a degree program at Ohio University
  4. Students currently dismissed or under suspension at another institution

Things to keep in mind:

  1. You will NOT be eligible for federal or institutional student financial aid as a non-degree student.
  2. You will be in a freshmen-level registration group based on the hours earned at Ohio University.
  3. You will not be given transfer credit for work completed at another institution unless you are later admitted to a degree program at Ohio University.
  4. You must have a high school diploma or GED certificate to apply as a non-degree student.

Students must meet all course pre-requisites. In some circumstances, you may be required to submit an official transcript to verify that you have met all necessary pre-requisites. Give yourself plenty of time to be sure you are admitted and registered before your classes begin!

Course credits from Ohio University can generally be transferred to other institutions. The accepting institution, however, establishes the policy in this matter. Be sure to check with your home institution to be sure the courses you select will transfer.

Once your non-degree application is processed, you will be notified when to register for courses. You can also schedule a meeting with an academic advisor should you need help choosing a course.

Ohio University Undergraduate Admissions
Chubb Hall 120
1 Ohio University Drive
Athens, OH 45701
F: 740.593.0506