Advisors and Headquarters
Advisors play an important role in guiding all student organizations at Ohio University, including sorority and fraternity chapters. While the university requires fraternities and sororities to have advisors, the extent of the relationship is left up the individual organizations.
Chapter advisors and university advisors share their expertise and leadership experience with their organizations. Advisors often assist chapters with setting and achieving goals, monitoring academic progress, and meeting with student members.
The role of the Chapter Advisor is to guide, advise, and support the chapter and its officers and monitor their progress. The nature and style of that role is left to the determination of the organization and its advisor. Below is a general outline of the University’s expectations of the Chapter Advisor:
- Oversee the chapter’s affairs as the relate to the organization, the campus, and the community.
- Maintain visibility in the residential community by visiting regularly with the chapter, interacting with members and attending chapter programs and meetings;
- Meet regularly (at least monthly) with the chapter leadership and being available o meet with members upon request. Ensure an effective and timely officer transition.
- Serve as a resource person for planning events and programs, resolving issues effecting the group, and being involved in the education of new members.
- Educate the chapter about inter/national policies, state and local laws, and the chapter code of conduct;
- Work with appropriate officers to review plans such as academics, membership development, new member programming, and risk management;
- Ensure that individual behavior is addressed through a chapter standards board that empowers members to hold each other accountable to actions that are consistent with the values of the organization and University;
- Attend meetings of the chapter, and of the Office when requested.
The role of this program is dependent on the needs of the chapter and availability of the Chapter Advisor. Generally, this position will work closely with the chapters on their academic program and Pawprint.
Student organization advisors are vital to a student organization’s success; the value advisors add to student organizations can be immeasurable at times. Advisors provide valuable guidance, a historical perspective, and a true passion for what their student organization provides for Ohio University’s campus life.
As an Office, we are committed to the guidance and support that we offer our advisors. Please contact us for more information.