Ohio Program of Intensive English (OPIE)
Ohio Program of Intensive English programs are designed for international students who need to improve their English skills before starting a degree program or just wish to improve their English proficiency.
OPIE is the oldest university English language program in Ohio and one of the leading programs in the United States.
- Do you want to study English only?
- Do you want to earn an undergraduate degree at Ohio University?
- Do you want to pursue a graduate degree at Ohio University?
OPIE’s primary purpose is to help you learn English and prepare you to live and study in the USA. In OPIE you will gain confidence in using American English and have a deeper understanding of American culture. OPIE instructors are experienced and qualified language teachers who have studied other languages and have lived outside the USA.
Ohio University offers a Full-Time English Program for students who are not yet ready to take academic courses.
The only entry requirement is that you have a high school diploma. “OPIE Only” student status is best for students who are not interested in a degree program at Ohio University or who are unsure of the program they would like to enter.
Students who are conditionally admitted to Ohio University are given an Institutional TOEFL exam (ITP) and writing or composition test upon arrival. Students are eligible to begin full-time academic study if they score 520 (Business students: 525) or above with a writing score of 5 or above. If scores are lower, students are placed into either:
The Ohio Program of Intensive English provides varying levels of instruction and support to graduate students at Ohio University.
- Academic and professional communication graduate courses are available to all students.
- Students admitted to the university without funding eligibility are strongly recommended to take 1-2 graduate courses in academic and professional communication courses.
- Non-native speakers of English who do not have sufficient test scores may apply for English Provisional admission. English Provisional admission is a combination of admission to the Ohio Program of Intensive English (OPIE) and future admission to a graduate degree-seeking program.
- More about graduate resources and English Provisional Admission.
Mission of the Ohio Program of Intensive English
The principal mission of OPIE is to raise the English language proficiency level and intercultural fluency of non-native speakers who will use English for academic study at institutions of higher education and/or for professional purposes. The OPIE mission consists of five core components: Teaching, Testing, Orientation/Cross-cultural Support, Program Development, and Teacher Development. More about the mission components....