Geography Giving Opportunities
Thank you for considering a gift to the Geography Department. There are many ways to give back to the department, such as offering internship or job opportunities to students, speaking to students about career paths (in person, or via Zoom), and supporting the department with a financial gift.
The department’s current fundraising priorities include:
- Study away/study abroad support
- Student research and travel funding
- Student scholarships
To support one of the department’s current funds with an online gift, please click on the desired fund below.
- Provides current-use funding for the department’s most pressing needs.
- Supports the Scalia Laboratory for Atmospheric Analysis.
- Scholarship for freshman or sophomore meteorology majors with demonstrated academic merit.
- Scholarship named after Dr. Hugh Bloemer, late Emeritus professor and past department chair.
- Scholarship for high-achieving juniors and seniors.
- Scholarship for Geography majors at the junior, senior, or graduate level. This scholarship is named after Joe Ferguson, who was killed on 9/11/2001 in the plane that terrorists crashed into the Pentagon. Bound for California to do environmental work, Joe and a colleague were taking high school students from Washington, D.C., on a National Geographic Society-sponsored trip.
- Scholarship for Geography majors, with a preference for students specializing in cultural geography. Hubert Wilhelm was the first Chair of the Geography Department. His wife, Connie, was an instrumental factor in his success.
- Supports a graduate student in their thesis research.
- Scholarship for high-achieving Geography majors.
- Scholarship for undergraduate students majoring in Geography/Cartography.
If you have questions about giving or if you have interest in establishing a new fund to support the department, please contact:
Senior Director of Development