Dance is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Dance.
Our modern dance based program offers a comprehensive curriculum in choreography, performance and production, integrated with theoretical, historical, cultural and practical studies in dance. We contribute to the cultural environment of the university, community and region through high quality productions and by providing opportunities to engage with the art of dance. We provide the general university student with studies in the practice, history and aesthetics of dance.
Goals of the School of Dance
• To foster the development of students as future artists;
• To present original choreography by students, visiting artists and faculty, to re-stage choreography by visiting artists and faculty, and to reconstruct historical works;
• To prepare graduates for advanced study in dance;
• To recognize and develop the unique balance of abilities present in each individual;
• To develop kinesthetic competency and performance presence;
• To strengthen critical thinking and creative problem solving skills;
• To encourage the development of verbal and written skills;
• To support and encourage body-based knowledge and experiential learning;