Ohio University

Accessible entrance to the College Green

Accommodations After OHIO

Career development and preparation are an important part of the university experience. As a student registered with SAS, you may have particular questions or concerns about your disability related to employment or graduate and professional school. Whether you are searching for a career path, finding an internship, or applying for graduate school, there are many resources to assist you in meeting your personal goals.

Just as you are eligible for academic accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you may be eligible for accommodations for entrance or licensure exams or even in the work place. Accommodations in the work place may range from the use of assistive computer technology to some flexibility with project deadlines or a reduced distraction work area. If you have not begun to think about how your disability may or may not interact with your career goals, these resources are designed to help initiate that process.

Information is below for basic information regarding:

  • Accommodations in Graduate and Professional School
  • Entrance and Licensing Exams
  • Job Searching

Additionally, the Career and Leadership Development Center is available to work with any Ohio University student or alumnus and offers a variety of services and resources. The Career and Leadership Development Center is working in partnership with SAS to help students with a disability through the career selection and job search process. To find out more about the services available, be sure to take a look at the CLDC webpage.

Accommodations in Graduate and Professional School

As a student with a disability, you may be eligible for academic accommodations at any graduate or professional school which receives Federal funding or facilitates Federal Financial Aid. Once you have made the decision to attend a particular program, be sure to register with the university's Student Accessibility Services. Much like your experience at Ohio University, you could expect to submit documentation of your disability and meet one on one with a counselor to determine reasonable academic accommodations at the graduate or professional level.

Entrance and Licensing Exams

Most graduate or professional schools will require some type of entrance exam. Many licensed professions also use a standardized exam to test for basic competencies within the profession. If you will be registering to take such an exam, you may be eligible for testing accommodations depending upon the nature of your disability. The determination of such accommodations is not made by SAS, however your assigned representative may be able to assist in the application process. You are encouraged to start the process early as it may take up to, or longer than, eight weeks for a decision to be made. Individual licensing boards or organizations typically administer the licensing exams and can be contacted directly for information on test accommodations.

For more information about common entrance exams follow these links:

Job Searching

Preparing to graduate college and search for a job can be a little overwhelming. There are many things to consider, from developing your resume, to interviewing and negotiating a job offer. If you think you may need even a simple accommodation for your job, you may have additional concerns about your rights and responsibilities, as well as when and how to request the accommodation. The Career and Leadership Development Center and SAS have teamed up to provide workshops that may address these particular questions and have compiled resources that may be helpful as well. To attend one of these seminars be sure to check on the Current Programs section for dates and times. You can also schedule a time to meet one on one with a career counselor or your SAS representative.