You are a relocating student if you are currently attending one of Ohio University’s regional campuses and wish to attend the Athens campus. Relocation is possible for any semester, though you must have earned at least 12 credit hours of coursework that is not developmental or remedial on the regional campus with a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA to be eligible for relocation. Students who have earned fewer than 12 credit hours at a regional campus will be subject to Athens campus admission guidelines. Contact the student services office on your regional campus for additional information.
If you have academic questions about relocating or your major, please contact your college:
- University College
Didi Chilcott, 740-593-1935
- College of Arts and Sciences
Randy Price, 740-593-2844
- College of Business
Mike Bila, 740-593-2042
- Scripps College of Communication
Greg Moeller, 740-593-0246
- Patton College of Education
Maureen Coon, 740-593-1302
- Russ College of Engineering and Technology
Grace Saller, 740-593-1573
- College of Fine Arts
Maureen Wagner, 740-593-1813
- College of Health Sciences and Professions
Sara White, 740-593-9336
Students relocating to the Athens campus from a regional campus are not required to attend an orientation session on the Athens campus. However, all students are encouraged to attend our Relocate Day program to familiarize themselves with their new campus. At Relocate Day, students will review academic requirements for their programs, or learn about their requirements if changing their major, as well as hear more about the resources and services available on the Athens campus. One major benefit to attending this program is that attendees register for classes for the next semester before any other students. Students must participate in the full Relocate Day program to register for courses during the program.
Students interested in relocating should meet the above requirements for relocating before attending a Relocate Day program. If you are currently on academic or transfer probation, you are not eligible to attend Relocate Day. Students who cannot attend Relocate Day should meet with their regional campus advisor and schedule for Athens campus classes during their regular advising time.
Students relocating to the Athens campus in summer or fall 2021 should plan to participate in Relocate Day on Friday, April 9, 2021 from 8 am - 5 pm. This program will be held online and there will be break times in the schedule, but students should plan to participate in the full day in order to be able to register for classes during the program. Participants should make arrangements to be available throughout the day for various sessions and in particular, course registration. It is not appropriate to participate in the virtual Relocate Day program while at work, attending classes, or in a vehicle, so students should plan accordingly.
Students who don't participate in the Relocate Day program should contact the people above to discuss getting advised by an advisor on the Athens campus and can register themselves for Athens campus courses. These students should also complete the "Make a Housing Plan" steps below.
Steps to Take Before Relocate Day
Make a Housing Plan
Ohio University requires that all first- and second-year students reside on campus and participate in a meal plan for two academic years (4 semesters). In most cases this period comprises the freshmen and sophomore years at OHIO.
- Students wishing to live on campus, should complete the Notice of Relocation to the Athens Campus form.
- Consideration for housing exemption is given for those relocating students who can demonstrate two full years attending an accredited institution of higher education after high school graduation. Credit towards exemption eligibility from the housing requirement will not be given for college study completed while attending high school. Other exceptions to the rule requiring on-campus housing exist for commuters, students 23 years of age and older, military veterans, and other categories.
- Students wishing to be exempted from university housing and/or meal plan must submit a housing exemption request form for review and approval.
Preparing for the Virtual Program
- Major Changes
- If you are planning to change your major, it is important to do so before the program by contacting your college office. You should also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know of your intended major change so we can connect you to the appropriate advisor during the program.
- Download and Navigate Microsoft Teams
- This will serve as our primary platform for the program. Information about how to access Microsoft Teams can be found on the OIT website: https://www.ohio.edu/oit/services/collaboration/teams.
- Please note that Microsoft Teams can be accessed through an app on your computer or on the web (Google Chrome and Firefox browsers recommended). We strongly encourage you to use the app on your computer for the best experience instead of the web version. Participating in the virtual program via the mobile app on your phone is not appropriate, so be sure to use a computer to connect.
- After downloading the software, we encourage you to login and review some of the features. Additional information about the features can be found at the link above. We will also review the basics of navigating Teams at the beginning of our program.
- On the day of the program, you will need to login to Microsoft Teams with your OHIO ID and password.
- Check-In Process
- Details regarding the virtual check-in process will be sent to your OHIO e-mail address approximately 2-3 days before the program. We recommend completing your virtual check-in as soon as possible after receiving that e-mail. If you fail to complete the check-in process by the specified time, we may not be able to accommodate you in the program.
- Upon your completion of this step, more details about connecting to your first live session of the day will be sent to your OHIO e-mail account.
Relocate Day Schedule (Sample - Subject to Change. Official schedule will be sent to participants in the days leading up to the program.)
Sign-up will be available for Spring 2021 Relocate Day on March 1st.