SI has your back
Supplemental Instruction (SI) offers FREE, out of class, study sessions for traditionally difficult courses. Sessions are led by students who have successfully completed the course.
SI is not offered during the summer
Fall Semester 2018-19
To be posted in August
Video: Learn more about SI
More About SI
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a series of weekly review sessions for students taking historically difficult courses. Sessions are facilitated by students (SI Leaders) who have already taken and done well in the course.
SI Leaders will guide you through class material in an environment where you are working with other students to discuss important concepts, compare notes, develop strategies for studying the subject, and test each other before you are actually tested by your professor.
SI is unique for a few reasons:
- SI sessions are FREE, VOLUNTARY, and open to ALL students in the designated SI courses.
- SI targets the course, not the student. Therefore, SI sessions are comprised of students with varying academic abilities.
- SI sessions not only involve active review of course content, but also focus on study strategies such as: note taking, organization, questioning techniques, vocabulary acquisition, problem solving/critical thinking, and test preparation.
- SI leaders have not only already taken the course and received a high grade, but they also sit in on the class again, take notes, and read assignments to make sessions as relevant and beneficial as possible.
- Statistically, students who regularly attend SI earn 1/2 to 1 whole letter grade higher than non-participants.