24.012: Use of Athletics Department-Controlled Facilities
|Approved on March 31, 2003||Signatures and dates
on archival copy
Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
|Herman ("Butch") Hill, Chair
Policy and Procedure Review Committee
Vice President for Administration
- To provide the policy and procedure for the use of the Convocation Center and other Athletics Department-controlled facilities, including indoor and outdoor facilities.
- These facilities exist to serve the educational, athletic, and entertainment interests of the students, faculty, and staff of Ohio University. When it does not conflict with university use, and with the permission of Ohio University, the facilities may be used by bona fide external groups.
Ohio University reserves the right to refuse use of facilities to any group sponsoring a function which does not meet the standards of Ohio University, or which the university determines to be detrimental to the academic, community, or state interests of the university.
Policy 01.025, "Use of Ohio University Facilities," provides an umbrella policy for all facilities usage. Issues not addressed in this policy may be addressed there.
Policy 20.095, "Approval of Fee Rates," describes the process for establishing and changing fees for facility use.
I. Reservation of Facilities
- University personnel wishing to reserve space indicated below should contact the Assistant Athletics Director for Facilities in the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. When a date is reserved and confirmed, only a higher priority function can supersede it, and only in the most unusual circumstances.
Non-university persons wishing to reserve space in the Convocation Center should contact the Assistant Athletics Director for Facilities in the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. After the date is confirmed as available, either the Office of Public Occasions or the Office of Conferences and Workshops must be contacted for approval of the event and the ensuing arrangements.
The Convocation Center concourse is only the actual concourse space. The Convocation Center arena is the seating area and main floor. Other rooms (e.g., Rohr Room) must be reserved separately. Administrative offices are not available.
For all events scheduled in the Convocation Center and all other Athletics-controlled facilities, the office of Facilities Management is notified and coverage must be arranged through them for all events held in the building.
II. Activity Priorities and Resolution of Conflicts
- Every effort will be made to arrange time schedules so that the athletics teams, university-sponsored entertainment, and student organizations can be accommodated. It is the understanding of the university that athletics events and practices have priority in the Convocation Center except for university events such as registration and commencement. It is understood that the Athletics Department will work with the university in arranging for concerts and other such events that are brought to campus. Conflicts will be resolved between the Director of Athletics and the other appropriate persons on campus.
III. Charges for Facility Usage
- Sponsoring groups will be responsible to pay rent and reasonable and necessary expenses for services associated with the use of the facility (e.g., equipment use, set-up, staffing, clean-up, damages, etc.). This will permit the planning unit to recover all direct costs resulting from the activity. A deposit may be required to cover damage or losses during a performance, event, or activity.
Fee schedules for the Convocation Center and other Athletics Department-controlled facilities are available through the Office of Intercollegiate Athletics.
IV. Other Requirements
- The Athletics Department-contracted vendor, in conjunction with the Ohio Athletics Department reserve the right to all concessions and sale of merchandise at facilities covered by this policy. These departments may choose to waive the right to sell on a case-by-case basis.
- Smoking is prohibited in the Convocation Center and at all other Athletics-controlled facilities.
- No flash cameras will be allowed when the flash will interrupt the event or performance.
- Sale or consumption of alcohol is prohibited without a permit issued by the university.
- Proof of liability insurance may be requested from the lessor.
- Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Policy and Procedure Review Committee
- Director of Housing and Food Services
- Internal Fee Committee
- Vice President for Administration
- Vice President for Student Affairs
- Director of Legal Affairs
- Director of Space Management
- There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
Dick Piccard revised this file (https://www.ohio.edu/policy/24-012.html) on March 22, 2016.
Please E-mail any comments or suggestions to "firstname.lastname@example.org".