Campus Safety and Security
EMERGENCY PROCEDURES QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
Please submit your safety or security concern here: https://ohio.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_e4kORG7HrA2STci
In general, NOTIFY emergency personnel as soon as possible by dialing 911 from a campus phone or from a cell phone. Once the police or emergency personnel arrive they are in charge.
Always NOTIFY the Information Office (3rd Floor Brasee) by dialing 0 (zero) on a campus phone or by calling 740-654-6711, ext. 0, as they will notify the Dean’s Office and Physical Plant.
- Accident/Injury: Relay exact location and type of emergency to 911 and the Information Office. AEDs (automated external defibrillator) are located in Brasee Hall in the North entrance to the left of the Bookstore, on each end of the 3rd floor by the staircases and in Herrold Hall on the 2nd floor by the open computer lab. Call a family member or friend if requested by the injured person. Record pertinent information about the incident and give to an OUL staff member at the scene.
- Active Shooter: Call 911. Direct students and faculty/staff away from area. Notify the Information Office. Give a description of the suspect to police when they arrive. If the intruder begins to use a weapon, use your judgment to get out or take cover and urge others to do so. Engage physically only if no other options exist.
- Bomb Threat: Write down what the caller says and notes about background noise (clues to caller’s location). Contact the Information Office or dial 0 (zero) on a campus phone. Wait for further instruction from OUL Administration or the Police Department. Avoid using cell phones as signal may detonate explosive device; urge others not to use cell phones.
- Explosive Device: Report a suspicious package to the Information Office or the Dean’s Office. Do NOT touch or remove package. Calmly direct students and faculty/staff away from the area. Do not use cell phones as signal may detonate explosive device; urge others not to use cell phones.
- Chemical/Toxic: Observe the general threat/spill and/or condition of victim. Call 911 if a victim is in need of immediate medical assistance. Call/notify the Information Office. Calmly direct students and faculty/staff away from the area. Report pertinent information about the incident to an OUL staff member at the scene who will call Central Ohio Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222, if necessary.
- Fire: Activate fire alarm to immediately alert Fire Department and evacuate building, making sure restrooms are clear. If you hear the alarm while in a closed room, feel the door before you open it. If hot, leave it closed and exit through an alternate path (window).
- Power Outage: Physical Plant will assess situation/duration and inform the Dean of the outage status. Provided that there is adequate light, keep students in classrooms and buildings until the situation is assessed. Emergency lights in halls and stairways will come on and provide lighting for at least an hour.
- Tornadoes: Lancaster has an emergency siren system for tornado warnings where a tornado has been sighted or conditions currently exist for a tornado to form or is approaching our quadrant of the county. When siren is heard, move away from windows to safe areas in interior rooms, hallways, stairwells or bathrooms. As the siren cannot be heard in all areas of campus, the Dean’s Office and Physical Plant will send out staff to alert others and urge them into safe areas. Remain in a designated safe area until instructed to leave.
- Parking Lots: North and South lots are equipped with emergency ‘blue light’ telephone stations and cameras. The Police Department is called by activating the ‘blue light’ telephone.
The Dean or Coordinator of Campus Communications & External Relations will serve as the only institutional spokesperson. Faculty and Staff are asked to not describe events on social media.
In case of a life-threatening emergency, an individual should CALL 911, proceed to a safe place when applicable, and NOTIFY the Information Office.