From supply chain management to ergonomic design, you’ll have a wealth of career options with a bachelor’s degree in industrial and systems engineering from the Russ College. Foundation courses include mathematics and science fundamentals as well as statistics and economics. From there, you’ll apply tools like lean systems management and Six Sigma that help you see a direct effect on systems and organizational success.
Our undergraduate degree program in industrial and systems engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org, the primary accrediting body for engineering programs in the U.S.
As an ISE student, you’ll take the following courses to prepare for a career as an industrial engineer:
- General education courses: English, Economics, Communications
- General math and science courses: Calculus, Chemistry, Physics
- Industrial engineering fundamental courses: Engineering Economy, Statistics, Work Measurement, Operations Research, Computer Simulation, Six Sigma
- Basic engineering courses: Electric Circuits, Materials Science
In addition, you’ll complete a group of courses related to your intended professional practice. We offer these Professional Concentration Areas:
- General IE
- Supply Chain Management
- Health Care
- Information Systems
- Human Factors
- Facility Planning and Management
- Flow chart (.pdf) of the curriculum (.pdf) for students who start in Fall 2018-19 or later.
- Flow chart (.pdf) of the curriculum (.pdf) for students who started between Fall 2017-18 and Spring 2017-18.
- Flow chart (.pdf) of the curriculum (.pdf) for students who started between Fall 2014-15 and Spring 2016-17.
- Course Catalog page
Students at one of the regional campuses can complete approximately three semesters of courses toward the ISE degree while still at the regional campus.
Suggested Minors and Certificates
Ohio University offers a variety of minors and certificates to enhance your education. The Suggested Minors and Certificates (pdf) document explains how some of the most popular options overlap with the ISE curriculum. Selecting elective classes for the ISE degree that also meet requirements for a minor or certificate make them even easier to complete. The most popular options for ISE students are:
- Business Minor
- Math Minor
- Lean Six Sigma Certificate
- Project Management Certificate
In addition to the minors and certificates in the document, there are many other options available in the university catalog. You can complete the Spanish Minor, the Writing Certificate, and many more.