Professional Program Application Process
The professional program is for students who are seeking to become an athletic trainer. If you have already earned a degree in athletic training, please refer to the post-professional program application process.
Candidates must have a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent.
A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
Ohio University will use ATCAS's cumulative GPA calculations based on each institution attended. The cumulative GPA must be a 3.0 in order to meet minimum application standards.
A minimum prerequisite GPA of 3.0
The prerequisite GPA is based upon the program prerequisite courses. If an applicant retakes prerequisite courses or takes a higher level course, the OHIO AT admissions committee may take the most recent grade into consideration.
- All prerequisite coursework must be completed with a minimum grade of 'C.' At the time of application, a candidate can only have two outstanding prerequisite courses. All prerequisite courses must be completed by summer semester of the matriculation year. The Professional MSAT program begins at that start of the fall term with orientation occurring in the beginning of August, and all prerequisites must be completed before the start of classes.
- Prerequisite science courses must be at the pre-medical or pre-health professional level. Students should check course equivalents with their academic advisor at their home institution.
- College course credit awarded through advanced placement or exams, within 10 years of matriculation, may be applied toward direct equivalent prerequisite courses.
- There are no life credit or placement options for prerequisite coursework.
If all academic requirements are met, the GRE is not required for admission.
If all academic requirements are not met, candidates must submit official GRE scores.
- GRE scores are valid for five years as of the test date, at the time of application. The preferred GRE score is 300 with a writing score of 4.0. Ohio University’s GRE code is 1593.
- The observation hour requirement is waived for Fall 2021 admissions
- Three letters of recommendation
International Academic Documents
International candidates must provide a complete English translation of transcript(s). International candidates should also provide copies of a final diploma or degree certificate in their native language with English translation.
All non-native English-speaking candidates must demonstrate English proficiency by submitting official test scores for either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS academic). For more information go to our English Proficiency website.
TOEFL - Paper
TOEFL - iBT
IELTS - Academic
6.5 across all boards
Post-Professional Application Requirements
To be eligible for the post-professional AT program, applicants must have:
- Earned a bachelor's degree in athletic training from a CAATE-accredited AT program.
- Maintained a minimum overall undergraduate grade-point average of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale on the last 90 quarter hours or the last 60 semester hours. A GPA of 3.0 is highly preferred.
- Earned a preferred minimum score of 300 on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
Program Length: 12 months (beginning July 1 and ending June 30 the following year)
Application Timeline: Sept. 15 - Jan. 1
To be eligible for OHIO's Athletic Training Residency Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
National Athletic Trainers’ Association, Board of Certification (BOC), Inc.
- Certified by the BOC
- Eligible for athletic training licensure from the Ohio Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Athletic Trainers Board
Minimum Cumulative GPA
- Earned cumulative 3.00 GPA across all institutions attended
Competitive GRE Score – waived for the 2020-2021 admissions cycle due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Preferred official GRE score of at least 300, with at least a 4.0 writing score.
- GRE code is 1593 for Ohio University.
- GRE scores are valid for five years from the date of application.
- Upload a current resume with 3-5 references as part of the application when prompted. Please include a rationale under each reference explaining why the reference was selected.
- Apply as a ‘certificate or endorsement’ applicant
- Search by program code: CTARTG
- Select “Summer Semester 2021”
- Meet specified health status and background check requirements designated by OhioHealth Sports Medicine.