Are you unsure what to major in? Are you currently in a major but thinking about exploring other major options?
You have come to the right place! Allen Advising is here to help you figure out which Ohio University major is right for you.
Close to 70% of college students change their major at least once and approximately 20-50% begin their college experience unsure of their major or career goals. So please know that you are not alone in questioning whether your major is the best fit.
Major exploration is an active process that requires you to engage in self-reflection, ask questions, explore opportunities, and utilize campus resources. Each one of these steps is important to help you select the major that fits you best. Be patient with yourself as you navigate this journey and give yourself time to gather the information you need to make informed decisions.
Major Exploration Survey & Appointment
Please complete the following steps to begin your major exploration journey:
- Take our Major Exploration Survey. This survey will help you reflect on your goals, interests, skills, and values; explore best-fit career fields; and narrow down major options.
- Schedule a Major Exploration Appointment with an Allen Advisor to discuss your responses and results. This conversation is also designed to connect you to resources and to create an action plan.
You will receive a confirmation email immediately after scheduling and a reminder email the day before your appointment.
Changing or Declaring Your Major
Please take the steps below if you're interested in changing your major: You will also follow these steps to add a double major, minor, or certificate.
- Use the “What-if” DARS feature in My OHIO Student Center to see how completed course work will apply to the majors under consideration, and what requirements remain.
- Read about other majors in the catalog.
- If you've identified a major that you want to pursue, make an appointment with an advisor in the new major by contacting the appropriate advising coordinator.
- If the major you'd like to pursue is nonselective, you can declare it now by submitting this form.
- If you're uncertain about what major you want to pursue, please make an appointment with an advisor at Allen Advising.
We encourage you to speak to your academic advisor or an Allen Advisor to determine whether the major you would like to change to is selective or non-selective.
If you have any questions, please call us at 740-566-8888 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.