Washington Hall was built in 1954 and opened in the fall of 1955 as a residence hall for male students. For several years the building housed female students. In the fall of 1997 it will house coed students by floors.
Washington Hall was named in honor of George Washington, the first President of the United States. He was born in Virginia in 1732. He endorsed and presented to the Continental Congress the Newburgh Petition for land for educational institutions. Henry Lee described Washington as: "First in war, first in peace, first in the heart of his countrymen".
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/washington.html) on April 26, 2013.