Ohio University - HomeApply Online Now!
Search
Ohio.edu Sites
Name Directory

Athens Campus Map and Tour
Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map

Back  Tour  Next

Baker University Center


Location and Current Use

The new Baker University Center is located at the junction of Mulberry Street, Court Street, and Park Place, between coordinates G-4 and H-5 on the campus map; it is marked as # 87 on the campus map. It is located on the old Hocking River riverbed, between Richland Avenue and Emeriti Park, across Oxbow Trail from Grover Center, Bird Arena, and Porter Hall.

To reach Baker University Center from Richland Avenue, turn East onto South Green Drive, at the traffic light between the Convocation Center and Peden Stadium. Drive past Peden Stadium, and turn left after the Walter Hall parking lot, onto Oxbow Trail. Baker University Center will be on your right, after passing Emeriti Park. In addition to the expanded-scale map linked above, see also the expanded scale map for the center part of the Athletics Mall.

More information about parking near Baker University Center is also available online.

Baker University Center includes a variety of meeting and dining rooms, as well as offices for Student Affairs, Diversity Services, Catering, and Information Technology.

Portraits of past university presidents are on display in the Presidential Portrait Gallery in the pre-function area of the Baker University Center Ballroom (Fourth Floor). You may also want to examine the on-line collection of portraits and biographical sketches of the former presidents.

More detailed information about the new Baker University Center is available online.


History of Building

Construction of the new Baker University Center began in the spring of 2004. The photo above was taken July 25, 2006, when exterior work was very nearly complete.

Photos taken during the later stages of the construction project are also available online (that page includes five photos, with a total download size of just over 1 MByte).

Offices from the old Baker University Center moved into the new Baker University Center during November and December, 2006, while construction was being completed. The new Baker University Center opened January 2, 2007.


John Calhoun Baker

Baker University Center is named in honor of John Calhoun Baker, the fourteenth president of Ohio University, serving from 1945 through 1961. He was educated at Juniata College and Harvard University. Under his guidence regional campuses were created, an extensive Nigerian educational program was established. Many new programs, scholarships and committees were established. The Ohio University Fund (now Foundation) was established to foster private giving and the John C. Baker Fund to support faculty improvement and research efforts. During his tenure numerous buildings, including most of the residence halls were built. Upon retirement he continued to pursue his interests in educational business and international affairs. In 1995 he returned to the campus for a gala celebration of his 100th birthday. He died in 1999.


Back  Tour  Next

Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map


Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/newbaker.html) on August 22, 2014.
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
(740) 593-1000
webteam@ohio.edu
Copyright © 2014 Ohio University.
 All Rights Reserved.