Ohio University - HomeApply Online Now!
Search
Ohio.edu Sites
Name Directory

Athens Campus Map and Tour
Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map

Back  Tour  Next

Lasher Hall


Location and Current Use

Lasher Hall is located West of Chubb, at coordinates F-3 on the campus map. It is marked as # 21 on the map.

Lasher Hall houses the School of Communication Studies and the Intercollegiate Speech and Debate Forensics Workroom.


History of Building

Lasher Hall was built in 1925 for the Athens Messenger. Ohio University purchased the building in 1972 and it became the home for the School of Journalism. After the School of Journalism moved to Scripps Hall in 1984, extensive renovations were made to Lasher Hall, and in 1988 the School of Interpersonal Communication (since renamed the "School of Communication Studies") moved in.


George Starr Lasher

Lasher Hall was named in honor of George Starr Lasher, founder and Director of the Ohio University School of Journalism, who served from 1921 - 1951. Educated at the University of Michigan and Columbia University, he began his professional career at the age of 12. At that time he was a correspondent from his home town for the Kalamazoo, Michigan, Gazette, in a city of 40,000 people. He was past National President of Theta Chi Fraternity, editor of "The Rattle of Theta Chi", and founder of Greek Week. He authored several English and Journalism textbooks. His major contribution to journalism education was to take students out of the classroom and put them to work at the Athens Messenger, where they received hands-on training.

George Starr Lasher was the founder of Theta Chi Fraternity at Ohio University, and later became the National Fraternity President.


Back  Tour  Next

Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map


Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/lasher.html) on April 26, 2013.
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
(740) 593-1000
webteam@ohio.edu
Copyright © 2013 Ohio University.
 All Rights Reserved.