Ohio University - HomeApply Online Now!
Search
Ohio.edu Sites
Name Directory

Athens Campus Map and Tour
Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map

Back  Tour  Next

Konneker Alumni Center


Location and Current Use

Konneker Alumni Center is located in the College Green, at coordinates H-5 on the campus map. It is marked as # 60 on the map.

Konneker Alumni Center houses the Alumni Relations Department and the National Alumni Board. The center has become a symbol of the dedicated support of many Ohio University alumni and friends.

History of Building

Konneker Alumni Center was built in the early 1900's for General Charles H. Grosvenor. The house remained in the family for approximately 50 years until Ohio University Professor Emerita of French, Constance Leete donated the house to the Episcopal Church which leased it to the University. In 1980, Ohio University received a generous gift from Dr. Wilfred R. and Ann Lee Konneker that provided funds for the purchase of the house by the Ohio University Foundation. The restored Harmon, Phillips, Straus, Warming, and Weinburg rooms, Weinburg Entryway, Welsh Hallway, Andrew T. Still Library, second floor office area, Class of 1957 Veranda, and furnishings were gifts from many alumni.


Wilfred and Ann Lee Konneker

Konneker Alumni Center was named in honor of Wilfred and Ann Lee Konneker. A native of Ohio, Wilfred was educated at Ohio University and Washington University. Ann graduated from Ohio State University. She received an honorary degree at Ohio University in 1980.

The Konnekers founded the Nuclear Consultants Corporation in St. Louis, MO, now merged with Mallenckrodt, Inc. He has founded or co-founded six additional high tech start-up companies. Mr. and Mrs. Konneker have made many contributions to Ohio University, including the Konneker Alumni Center and scholarships.

Wilfred Konneker was awarded the Alumni Medal of Merit in 1964 and named Alumnus of the year in 1979. He is a member of the Ohio University Foundation Board, serving as chairman from 1982-87. He created the Innovation Center for small businesses in Southeast Ohio. He serves on the Washington University's National Alumni Board. He has served on the Ohio University Board of Trustees, Board of Directors of the Atomic Industrial Forum, Board of Trustees for the St. Louis Opera Theatre, and the Board of Directors for Zynoxis Cell Science, Inc.

Ann Konneker is active in the St. Louis Historical Society, Decorative Arts Society of the St. Louis Art Meuseum, St. Louis Symphony Women's Guild, and St. Louis Opera Theatre. She is also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Richard Gaddis Young Singers Fund.

Back  Tour  Next

Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map


Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/konneker.html) on April 26, 2013.
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
(740) 593-1000
webteam@ohio.edu
Copyright © 2013 Ohio University.
 All Rights Reserved.