Ohio University - HomeApply Online Now!
Search
Ohio.edu Sites
Name Directory

Athens Campus Map and Tour
Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map

Back  Tour  Next

Grover


Location and Current Use

Grover Center is located in the West Green, at coordinates F-5 on the campus map. It is marked as # 89 on the map.

Grover Center houses the Patton College of Education's departments of Human and Consumer Sciences Education and Recreation and Sport Pedagogy; and the College of Health Sciences and Professions' Schools of Applied Health Sciences and Wellness, Nursing, Rehabilitation and Communication Sciences, Social and Public Health. Grover Center also houses the Atrium Cafe and WellWorks--the University's wellness program, as well as Ohio University Therapy Associates, which includes Physical Therapy and Hearing, Speech, and Language clinics.

The building includes over 50 classrooms and specialty labs, seating for nearly 1,600 and about 150 faculty and staff offices. Special features include a distance learning room, internet and projection technology in every classroom, a 24-station computer lab, and the Marion Parson Alden gallery for the display of student design projects.


History of the Building

Built in 1960, Grover Center was originally built to house the physical education program and to serve as the basketball arena. The arena was moved to the Convocation Center in 1968 and Grover Center continued to serve the physical eduation program. Grover Center was renovated in 1976. The facility also was used or intramural sports.

From 1996 to 2001 the building was renovated at a cost of $24.5 million, boosting the size to almost 200,000 square feet. Besides the concrete foundation, thick steel beams above what used to be the gymnasium, and a few other structural features, hardly any of old Grover remains.

At the heart of the new Grover is an expansive atrium with a wide, circular stairway winding to the third of three floors. On each floor, the atrium opens up to program entrances that, along with skylights and old-sytle lampposts, lend a streetscape feel. The brick exterior mimics the Georgian flavor seen elsewhere on campus.


Brandon T. Grover

Grover Center is named in honor of Brandon T. Grover. A 1919 graduate of Ohio University, he joined the coaching staff at Ohio University in 1920, and served as head basketball coach and assistant to the athletic director from 1923 to 1938. He left the athletic department to become director of public relations and assistant to the President John C. Baker. He authored a book on a constitution and by-laws for 12 sports. The book was adopted by athletic directors of many universities.


Back  Tour  Next

Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map


Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/grover.html) on April 25, 2013.
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
(740) 593-1000
webteam@ohio.edu
Copyright © 2013 Ohio University.
 All Rights Reserved.