Ohio University - HomeApply Online Now!
Search
Ohio.edu Sites
Name Directory

Athens Campus Map and Tour
Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map

Back  Tour  Next

Ellis Hall


Location and Current Use

Ellis Hall is located in the College Green, at coordinates H-4 on the campus map. It is marked as # 6 on the map.

Ellis Hall houses the departments of Classics and World Religions, English, and Philosophy, and also the Institute for Applied and Professional Ethics. It holds classrooms, faculty offices, seminar rooms, and laboratories.


History of the Building

Ellis Hall was started in 1902, and the wings were added in 1906 and 1908. It is one of Ohio University's oldest and largest classroom buildings and accommodated the new State Normal School. It was designed by noted midwest architect Frank L. Packard. Rows of rusticated brickwork form bands around the structure on the first and second stories. Quoining is a decorative feature at the corners. The original entry was replaced by the present portico in 1963.

Ellis Hall was the first building on campus paid for entirely by state appropriations. It was originally dedicated to the instruction of teachers and was the first structure to be named for a living president.


Alston Ellis

Ellis Hall was named in honor of Dr. Alston Ellis, 10th president of Ohio University, serving from 1901 until 1920. A native of Kentucky, he was educated at Washington and Lee and Miami Universities. He was a nationally recognized leader in public school education and administration.


Back  Tour  Next

Begin TourBuilding IndexGreenParkingCampus Map


Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/ellis.html) on April 25, 2013.
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701
(740) 593-1000
webteam@ohio.edu
Copyright © 2013 Ohio University.
 All Rights Reserved.