Built in 1920, Crewson House was formerly known as the Chubb House (having been the Chubb Family Home). It has been occupied by Honors Tutorial College and by a fraternity. Ohio University acquired the house in the 1980's, and after renovations renamed it the Crewson House.
Crewson House is named in honor of Harry B. Crewson. A native of Sebring, OH, he was educated at Wooster College and Ohio State University. He joined Ohio University in 1949 as a faculty member in the School of Economics. He was an instructor at the American University of Cairo, Egypt, and a visiting Professor of Economics at the University of Hawaii, Honolulu, in 1962. He was founder and the first president of the Ohio University Credit Union and served as a director for several years. He served as President of the Athens City Council for five terms and was a member of the Ohio Municipal League. He was a member of the American Economics Association, Midwestern Economics Association, and American Association of University Professors. He served as President of Ohio University for one year, from 1974 to 1975.
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/crewson.html) on April 25, 2013.