Built in 1967 and dedicated in May, 1968, the four-story residence hall originally housed 272 female students.
Andrew J. Crawford
Crawford Hall is named in honor of Andrew J. Crawford. He was born in Perry County, near New Straitsville, OH, in 1862. He read medicine with Dr. H. C. Allen, then attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons (now known as Johns Hopkins University). He was a family physician practicing in Glouster, OH, for many years. He was a member of the Ohio Legislature. When in office, he introduced legislation for Workman's Compensation and also for the eight hour work day of state employees. He was instrumental in obtaining funds for Ohio University for Ellis Hall, the former Boyd Hall, and the Women's gymnasium. He was the author of the Pure Food Act and the Pure Drug Act.
Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/crawford.html) on September 30, 2014.