The Athens County Courthouse houses the Clerk of Courts, fourth district Court of Appeals, Court of Common Pleas, Domestic Relations, Juvenile Court, Probate Court, County Prosecuting Attorney, and the Special Services departments.
The Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Title departments and Drivers License Division are located at the HDL Center, 182 W. Union Street.
The courthouse is Athens County's third one on the same site on the southwest corner of Court and Washington Streets. The first one being a two story log house built in 1808 and the second one built in 1817 that was later destroyed by fire.
The courthouse was extensively renovated in 2004, including replacement of windows, re-pointing of the brickwork, and restoration of the "Lady Justice" statue that can be seen on the roof in the photo, above.
|Dick Piccard revised this file (http://www.ohio.edu/athens/bldgs/courthouse.html) on April 25, 2013.|