First-Year Student Orientation
Program Goals for Students
Through participation in a Bobcat Student Orientation program, students will:
- Create a complete and appropriate first-semester schedule for their intended major.
- Begin to build their on-campus network of support and develop relationships with faculty, staff, and peers from their respective college through meaningful interactions.
- Feel more connected to the Ohio University community and begin to develop a sense of belonging.
- Learn more about the resources available and how their specific needs will be met as an Ohio University student.
Learning Outcomes for First-Year Students
Through participation in a Bobcat Student Orientation program and active engagement in all components of the program, students will:
- Understand their degree requirements and how to correctly read their Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) reports.
- Identify campus resources, services, or programs available to students and choose the appropriate situation for which they may be needed.
- Explain Ohio University’s Five C’s (community, character, civility, citizenship, and commitment) and understand how they can be a contributing member of Ohio University through each core value
Students Admitted for Fall Semester
BSO Programs for first-year students starting at Ohio University in the fall semester take place in June. These sessions are two-day programs that begin with check-in between 7:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. on the first day and end around 12 p.m. on the second day. Students are expected to stay on campus for the overnight portion of the program to facilitate connection to peers they will interact with when the fall semester begins.
For students who are unable to attend the sessions in June due to extenuating circumstances, such as travelling from out-of-state or studying abroad in June, one additional BSO program is available in August, immediately prior to the start of the fall semester. Students who may need to take advantage of the last chance orientation program, should contact us.
To sign up for the program, see orientation dates, and review fees, please visit our Sign-Up and Fees page.
For information about the Family and Guest orientation program, please visit our Family and Guest page.
Students Admitted for Spring or Summer Semester
BSO Programs for first-year students starting at Ohio University in the spring semester take place in January. Students admitted for the summer semester attend orientation in May. These sessions are one-day programs that begin with check-in around 8 a.m. and end around 5 p.m. Students who are unable to attend the posted dates, should contact us to discuss additional options to meet the orientation requirement.