Community Standards Records Information
The Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility will assist students, campus partners, and outside third party agencies in the completion of a student records conduct request. A release of information signed by the student is required. The Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility does not release records to students. Records are sent directory to another institution, campus office, or third party agency.
Student disciplinary records are retained on file by the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility for seven years past the date of the last incident.
Student disciplinary records are defined as educational records by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). As educational records, disciplinary records are not subject to release without written authorization by the student. However, under certain circumstances, FERPA and Ohio University's Students Records Policy (Policy 12.020) permit the University to release disciplinary records without written authorization by the student.
Student Records Requests
Students wishing to have their conduct records released must complete the Student Conduct Records Request Form. When submitting this form, the following information must also be provided:
- Any supplemental forms (Dean's Certification Form, Transfer Form, etc.) that need to be completed. Please be sure to complete your portion of that form before submitting the online request form.
- Where the records need to be sent, how the records need to be sent, and who the records need to be sent to after your records request has been completed.
- You are required to submit a photo of your Ohio University ID upon submission of the online request form. If you are no longer a student or do not have your Ohio University ID, you may use an driver's license or state issued ID.
You will receive an update to your Ohio University email once your records request has been completed. Records requests may take 3-5 business days to complete.
Campus Partner Records Requests
In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Ohio University's Student Records Policy (Policy 12.020), which provides for the University to share student records with members of the faculty and staff having a legitimate educational interest, the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility will work collaboratively with academic colleges who request student conduct records pending the submission of the request and signed student records request waiver.
The Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility will work to provide the following student conduct checks. Other requests may additionally be made pending that a signed student consent form is also provided.
- Full Conduct Check
- Includes the full conduct history of a student: Incident date, Code of Conduct violations, assigned sanctions, and sanction competition status.
- Probationary Status Check
- Reports if the student is currently on probation and when their probation is set to end.
Campus partners may make a records request by completing the Campus Partner Records Request Form. Once your request has been reviewed and completed, you will be emailed by the Community Standards and Student Responsibility's Records Management Senior Specialist.
Please allow up to one business week for processing. Larger requests may require additional time.
Third Party Agency Records Request
The Office of Community Standards will work with third party agencies to complete student conduct records request if there is a consent from signed by the student. The signed consent forms need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 740-593-4613.
Results will be shared via email, fax, or by phone. Third party agencies can also stop by the office with a signed consent to request student conduct records.