41.105: Retirement System Contributions for Administrative Presidential Appointees on Leaves of Absence
|Re-formatted on July 12, 2016|
Approved on February 27, 2005
|Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|James E. Kemper
Assistant Vice President for
Administration for Human Resources
|Herman ("Butch") Hill, Chair
Policy and Procedure Review Committee
Interim Vice President for Finance and Administration
- A. Overview
This policy ensures continuation of university retirement contributions for administrative presidential appointees on an approved leave of absence.
Employees enrolled in an alternative retirement plan will not receive university retirement contribution when on unpaid leave. Ohio university will provide the university retirement contribution for those faculty and administrative staff members enrolled in STRS or OPERS while on leave of absence providing:
- The leave is consistent with the state teachers retirement system and the Ohio public employees retirement system regulations permitting service credit while on approved leave of absence.
- The faculty or staff member is willing and able to contribute his or her normal retirement contribution for the period of the leave.
- That all other avenues of funding the university retirement payments through grants, contracts, or other means have been exhausted.
- That the appropriate executive officer deems the leave to be of future benefit to the university and the appropriate executive officer gives advance written approval for such payment prior to the commencement of the leave. For the purposes of this policy, executive officers are:
- Executive vice president and provost
- Vice president for finance and administration
- Executive dean for regional campuses
- Vice president for research and creative activity and dean of the graduate college
- Vice president for student affairs
- Vice president for university advancement
- B. Process
Administrative presidential appointees who are members of STRS and who have received prior approval for retirement payments should contact the payroll office upon return from leave of absence for the purpose of filing a request to purchase service credit for the period of the leave of absence.
Administrative presidential appointees who are members of OPERS should contact university human resources for procedures to follow in establishing service credit for the time on approved leave of absence.
Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Administrative Senate
- Forms, References, and History
- 1. Forms
There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
- 2. References
The following item is relevant to this policy:
- Policy 41.128, "Leaves of Absence for Presidential Appointees."
- 3. History
Draft versions of this policy that were circulated for review, their cover memos, their forms, and Reviewers' comments on them are available on the password-protected Review site, at https://www.ohio.edu/policy2/41-105/.
Prior versions of this policy were approved on:
- February 27, 2005
- July 1, 1980
- September 12, 1972
- September 20, 1971
- November 7, 1969