40.037: Rehiring of Retired Administrative and Classified Employees
|Status:||Re-formatted on June 23, 2016|
Approved on October 22, 2014
|Signatures and dates
on archival copy
|Effective:||30 days after approval||
|Initiated by:||Colleen Bendl|
Chief Human Resource Officer
|Endorsed by:||Stephen Golding|
Vice President for Finance and Administration
|Approved by:||Roderick J. McDavis|
- A. Overview
Generally, the university does not support the rehiring of retired administrative and classified employees into full-time or part-time permanent benefits-eligible positions. The exception is the rehire of a retiree who is critical to the university's ability to achieve its mission.
- B. Process
Employees who may be rehired should first consult the information about re-employment that is provided by their retirement system, checking particularly for possible impact on retiree health care benefits. The following links provide starting points appropriate for the majority of Ohio university retirees:
- For OPERS — https://www.opers.org/retirees/re-employment/index.shtml
- For STRS — https://www.strsoh.org/duringcareer/_dc/preparingretirement/reemployment.html
If a planning unit head believes that the rehiring of an Ohio university retiree is critical to achieving the university's mission, the planning unit head may take such rehire request to the chief human resource officer. If the chief human resource officer concurs with the request, he or she will send the request to the president. The president will make the final hiring decision.
Proposed revisions of this policy should be reviewed by:
- Administrative Senate
- Classified Senate
- Faculty Senate
- Chief Financial and Administrative Officers
- Forms, References, and History
- 1. Forms
There are no forms that are specific to this policy.
- 2. References
The following items are relevant to this policy:
- Policy 40.045, "Terminations and Reinstatements of Classified Employees."
- Policy 40.055, "Pay Determination for Classified Staff."
- Policy 41.010, "Benefits for Administrative Presidential Appointees."
- Policy 41.014, "Notification of Termination and Reinstatement of Presidential Appointees and Graduate Student Employees."
- for OPERS — https://www.opers.org/retirees/re-employment/index.shtml
- for STRS — https://www.strsoh.org/duringcareer/_dc/preparingretirement/reemployment.html
- 3. History
Draft versions of this policy that were circulated for review, their cover memos, their forms, and Reviewers' comments on them are available on the password-protected Review site, at https://www.ohio.edu/policy2/40-037/.
Prior versions of this policy were approved on August 17, 2009, and August 29, 2001.