Fall semester faculty workshop to focus on ‘The Disrupted Learner’
The Center for Teaching, Learning, and Assessment (CTLA) invites all Ohio University faculty and staff to a fall semester kickoff on Aug. 22, from 9 to 11:30 a.m. in Baker University Center 240/242.
The event is designed to create the opportunity for networking and conversation, as well as to equip instructors with pedagogical strategies to meet learners whose remote, pandemic instruction impacts their higher education experiences.
The morning will begin with a continental breakfast, and the workshop will include faculty/administrator and student panels.
About the workshop
More than three years after COVID’s initial disruption of education, its ramifications continue to impact higher education classrooms. Student preparation, engagement skillsets and classroom expectations all differ markedly from what instructors could expect prior to the pandemic. In this workshop, faculty and instructional staff will share what they are experiencing in their classes, while students and student-facing staff will discuss challenges brought by the disruption. In addition, participants will have the opportunity to plan how to adjust their own instructional practice to accommodate the needs of today’s learners and support their academic success.
Following this session, participants will:
- Review the documented effects of COVID disruption on college students.
- Gain insight into the types of learning challenges facing OHIO students.
- Share successful instructional strategies implemented by colleagues during and following COVID.
- Articulate specific instructional strategies they plan to reinforce, refine or implement to support the academic success of disrupted learners.
- 9 to 9:15 a.m. -- Welcome and Introductions
- 9:15 to 9:45 a.m. -- The Disrupted Learner: An Overview of Teaching and Learning Research
- 9:45 to 10 a.m. -- Community Conversation: Inside Our Classroom
- 10 to 10:10 a.m. -- Break
- 10:10 to 10:40 a.m. -- Faculty and Administrative Panel
- 10:40 to 10:45 a.m. -- Break
- 10:45 to 11:15 a.m. -- Student Panel
- 11:15 to 11:30 a.m. – Takeaways: Implications for Fall Semester