Thirteen OHIO campus spaces receive Experiential Spaces Designation
Ohio University’s Center for Advising, Career and Experiential Learning has announced that 13 spaces on campus have received its Experiential Spaces Designation for the 2022-2023 academic year.
In identifying and designating the 13 spaces, the Center’s objective was to highlight and promote awareness of – and access to – experiential learning opportunities while also broadening student engagement.
“These are the first spaces on OHIO’s campus to receive the Experiential Spaces Designation,” Judd Walker, associate director of Experiential Learning for Signature Programs, said. “Going forward, designations for experiential spaces will be made on a yearly basis.”
To qualify for the designation, the spaces had to meet the following criteria:
- Interdisciplinary – Achieved through intentional programming; curricular or co-curricular, preferably both.
- Authentic context – Real practice of some type of competency; the space is uniquely poised to deliver specific learning outcomes.
- Ownership – Student exercises independent judgment in defining and/or executing the activity; student takes ownership of the process and outcomes.
- Deep engagement – Student involvement in the activity is sustained and/or intensive; the experience requires a substantial investment of time and attention to foster deep learning.
- Facilitated reflection – Students are guided through a process of looking inward and backward to make sense of their experience.
The Fall 2022 Experiential Spaces Designation recipients include:
- Center for Law, Justice, and Culture
- Child Development Center
- Center for International Business Education & Development (CIBED)
- Classics and Religious Studies Library
- OHIO Esports Arena
- Game Research and Immersive Design (GRID) Lab
- Hans Kruse Emerging Communication Technology Laboratory Complex
- Kennedy Museum of Art, Christine Demler Brown Center for Art- Gallery & Studio
- Mahn Center for Archives and Special Collections and Digital Initiatives
- Ohio Student Farm
Stewards of the 13 designated experiential spaces will receive $500 in award funds to elevate the space, signage to display in the space, and promotion of the program to current and prospective students.