Keeping Bobcats Informed, May 25, 2022
Bobcat Parents and Families,
The tragic event that occurred Tuesday has left me shaken and deeply saddened. As a nation, we mourn the heartbreaking and senseless killing of 19 children and two teachers in a fourth-grade classroom in Uvalde, Texas. As parents, we grieve for these families and grapple with how to help our own children cope with this tragedy.
I wanted to share several resources available to all members of the Ohio University community to help navigate grief and loss. OHIO offers a variety of support resources to our students. If you think your student would benefit from support for psychological and emotional well-being, please consider the resources below.
Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS)
- CPS provides mental health and adjustment services to students and also consultation to faculty, administrators and parents who support our students.
- Individual counseling both in person and through face-to-face video conferencing or audio phone therapy is available to students residing in Ohio.
- Staff members in CPS also make referrals to a wide range of support services both on and off-campus. Students may contact CPS at any time by calling 740-593-1616. If calling after hours, press 1 to be connected to a counselor. You can also visit their website.
Be Informed Bobcats
- Safety and security resources are also available online.
Stay safe and well,
Kathy A Fahl, MSW
Dean of Students
Be Well in the SEO
Enjoy the Great Outdoors and Physical Activity This Summer
If you're sticking close to Southeast Ohio, there are countless options to stay active and explore. Hike through Hocking Hills, ride a bike on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway, swim or rent kayaks at Strouds Run State Park, or mountain bike on Baileys Trail System. Need that AC, but not taking classes this session? Get your summer membership going with Ping Rec Center.
Found a cool spot? Share your adventures with us and tag @BobcatWellBeing on IG!
As long as we're talking about well-being...
...let's talk about how you can care for your mental health. WellTrack, a self-guided, interactive therapy app, is available to students during the summer. This app can help you monitor your moods, learn to manage stress, and provides a zen room for relaxation wherever you are.
Productive Summer Goals
Give back to your community
Looking for a way to get involved this summer? GivePulse is an online platform that connects you with volunteer and internship opportunities — some even offer stipends.
Improve your academic skills
Ready to level up your performance in class? Academic assistance is available all summer through the Academic Achievement Center.
Bobcats Helping Bobcats
At OHIO, we support each other to ensure all Bobcats find success. Students struggling to meet their basic needs can't be successful in the classroom. Here are a few warning signs that you or a friend might be facing food or housing insecurity:
- Sleep deprivation or falling asleep during class.
- Difficulty concentrating or focusing.
- Poor health, diet, or personal hygiene.
Luckily, OHIO can help. Learn about the services available to all Bobcats.
OIT Tech Tips
Goodbye DUO and hello Azure MFA!
Become an early adopter of Azure MFA, the next generation of multi-factor authentication that will replace Duo Mobile. Enroll today and you’ll have the opportunity to provide feedback while you say goodbye to Duo.
Missing Athens? Find a campus job for summer
Resolve your Bobcat Cash. Learn if your cash will roll-over or if you're eligible for a refund