Three steps to protect yourself online
Cybercriminals are always hard at work, and while you may think there is nothing you can do about it, Ohio University’s Information Security Office has put together three easy steps anyone can take to reduce the risk to devices and data.
- Secure your personal computer.
- Keep all software, operating systems and apps up to date. Oftentimes, such updates include security patches for known vulnerabilities.
- Use the anti-virus software included with your computer or from a reputable vendor. Be sure to keep it up to date and run weekly virus scans.
- Use the firewall included with your computer. It will provide basic protection against unauthorized users gaining access to your private data through the internet.
- Create strong passwords and use safe password practices.
- Beware of phishing messages and reference the Phish Bowl for any phishing messages impacting OHIO.
While there are more actions you could do to protect yourself and the University against cybercriminals, these actions are a great first step towards being cybersecure.