Keeping Bobcats informed: Regional Bobcat update, March 23, 2020
Dear Regional Campus students,
Welcome back from an extended spring break and, for many of you, to an unexpected new learning environment. This is certainly an unprecedented time for our community, the nation, and the world. The COVID-19 pandemic is forcing each of us to rethink our daily lives and our interactions with others. This means a dramatic shift in how the University serves our campus and our communities. My email to you today includes updates on regional campus operations, points of contact, and information resources.
We are taking extensive measures at Ohio University to keep our communities healthy and safe. While we know that moving all courses to an alternative delivery method is disruptive, this provides the best option to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. We understand that you likely have questions that we want to continue to answer. Here are some responses to recently asked questions from regional campus faculty, staff, and students:
- All campuses remain open to faculty, students, and staff; however, we have limited staff available on campus each day. We highly encourage students to reach out virtually to faculty members, advisors, and staff. We are prepared to use phone, email, and video conferencing technologies to provide academic services and support, and we remain committed to your academic progress and success.
- If you do come to campus, please keep the following expectations in mind:
- Social distancing is required at all campus locations to keep everyone safe. Please abide by all signs posted throughout campus.
- Limit any campus visit to the use of computers, where available, or internet service. All other campus services can be provided remotely. You may wish to call ahead to determine computer availability
- Please, do not come to campus if you have a fever, cough, shortness of breath, or if you have a family member who has been ill.
- Students should have already heard from their instructors at this point. If you have not heard from your instructor by Wednesday, March 25, please contact the campus representative listed below for assistance.
- All campus and center events (including regional campus sporting events) scheduled through May 15 have been canceled or rescheduled for a later date.
- University commencement and all regional campus graduation recognition ceremonies are postponed. Once we confirm new dates, we will share with everyone.
- All university-sponsored traveled is suspended until further notice.
Points of Contact
Ohio University’s decision to shift to remote and online delivery of coursework for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester is a measure undertaken with an abundance of caution, to help ensure the safety and health of our communities. We understand there will be challenges with this transition, but we are here to support you every step of the way. Please maintain regular contact with your faculty, your advisors and other staff members, and of course, your classmates, but do so through safe practices and social distancing. Take advantage of technology and social media to stay in touch. Ask questions of your faculty and staff.
The following individuals are primary contacts at each location to support students. Please reach out to them if you need help.
- Ohio University Chillicothe: Dywayne Nicely (email@example.com)
- Ohio University Eastern: Warren Galbreath (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ohio University Lancaster/Pickerington: Janet Becker (email@example.com)
- Ohio University Southern/Proctorville: Salome Nnoromele (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ohio University Zanesville: Hannah Nissen (email@example.com)
The COVID-19 pandemic is providing new and shifting challenges for each of us. The University wants students to know that even though we are not physically together at this time, our faculty and staff are working hard to ensure continuity of instruction as you progress through your academic career. Being separated is difficult for all of us, but we are here for you because Bobcats take care of one another. The following websites are the best resources to refer to as we navigate through the semester. As new information becomes available, each campus will be posting important updates. In addition to the resources on the campus websites, Ohio University is maintaining updated information about the institution’s response efforts to COVID-19 at https://www.ohio.edu/coronavirus.
- Ohio University Chillicothe: https://www.ohio.edu/chillicothe/coronavirus
- Ohio University Eastern: https://www.ohio.edu/eastern/coronavirus
- Ohio University Lancaster/Pickerington: https://www.ohio.edu/lancaster/coronavirus
- Ohio University Southern/Proctorville: https://www.ohio.edu/southern/coronavirus
- Ohio University Zanesville: https://www.ohio.edu/zanesille/coronavirus
Together, we will get through the challenges before us. Please feel free to reach out to me at (firstname.lastname@example.org) or other regional campus related questions or concerns.
Take care and be safe,
Executive Dean, Regional Higher Education and Lifelong Learning