Facilities + Equipment
At the Center for Advanced Materials Processing, engineers work with a range of materials from metals to plastics to biobased polymers. To support work in studying how to best produce them, researchers maintain several labs equipped with the latest technology and software.
About Our Facilities
Several labs on the Athens campus support CAMP research.
- Materials Processing Laboratory: Includes polymer extruders, metal extrusion, rapid prototyping and CVD/PVD equipment.
- Electrostatic Precipitator Laboratory: Performs measurements on the efficiency of novel precipitator components.
- CAD Laboratory: Features various software for developing materials processing and manufacturing technology (including 3D modeling, FEA, and CFD software).
- Materials Characterization and Testing Laboratory: Includes facilities for metallography, optical microscopy, micro/macro hardness testing, heat treating, fatigue testing, tensile/compression testing, and elevated temperature mechanical testing.
- Thermal Analysis Laboratory: Features analytical instruments for determining thermal conductivity, thermal diffusivity, specific heat, and coefficient of thermal expansion.
About Our Equipment
To develop the materials of tomorrow, state-of-the-art facilities are required. Throughout CAMP lab facilities, there is a cache of state-of-the-art equipment and software to bring novel ideas to life. Choose an equipment type to have a closer look into the CAMP toolbox.
Thermal Testing Equipment
- Holomatrix laser flash
- Anter Flashline 3000 (with Cryogenic Temperature Capability)
- Perkin Elmer TMA
- Perkin Elmer DSC
- Harrop Dilatometer (to Measure CTE)
- Mettler-Toledo DSC (Cryogenic to 750C)
- Mathis Instruments Hot Disk
- ASTM Standard Hot Plate
Mechanical Testing Equipment
- MTS machine, computer-controlled 250 kN/56,000 lb servo-hydraulic testing machine
- Instron 6750/30 kN computer controlled tensile tester
- Instron R.R. Moore fatigue testing equipment
- Tinius-Olsen 1000 lb tensile testing machine
- Wilson hardness testers
- Quantitative Image Analyzer System
- 5 KW Ameritherm induction heater
- 28-ton hydraulic hot extrusion lab apparatus and associated equipment
- CNC machining equipment
Polymer Processing Equipment
- CSI LE-750 Laboratory Extruder
- CSI Mini-Max Molding Machine
- Injection molding machine
Materials Engineering Equipment
- Metallography Laboratory (metallographic microscopes, sample preparation and polishing, LECO micro-hardness tester, eddy current tester, fume hood)
- Particle Analysis Laboratory
- Scanning electron microscope (SEM)
- Scanning tunneling electron microscope
- CVD reactors, and Physical Vapor Deposition system
- Non-ferrous casting equipment
CAD Modeling Software and Associated Equipment
- Solid Edge, Autodesk AutoCad, Autodesk Inventor, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics (Algor), Matlab, Ansys CFD (Fluent), Abaqus, MSC Marc, MSC Adams, MSC Nastran, MSC Patran, Avizo, Simufact.Forming, Forge 2011, MSC Dytran, MSC Sinda
- Manufacturing equipment such as CNC lathe and mill interfaced to CAD/CAM software