Ohio University's Communication Sciences and Disorders program offers both outstanding professional and research training through bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our faculty is dedicated to exploring the science of human speech, hearing and language as well as seeking new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat various communication disorders.
The division’s undergraduate program in communication sciences and disorders is one of the largest in the United States, and its graduate programs in speech-language pathology and audiology are consistently ranked among the best in the nation. We achieved our reputation through a unique curriculum that combines classroom study, laboratory work and clinical experiences and service learning opportunities — often in conjunction with students in other disciplines within the college and the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine. Our graduates leave with a sound understanding of the anatomical and theoretical underpinnings of our field, as well as many hours of hands-on application in a multidisciplinary setting that closely resembles the modern healthcare workplace.
Communication Sciences and Disorders Mission Statement
The Division of Communication Sciences and Disorders is dedicated to excellence in research and teaching undergraduate and graduate students who will be successful in future academic study and employment.
The mission is to promote excellence in the clinical education of students and to provide the highest quality services to the community.
Ohio University’s studies in communication sciences and disorders date to 1937, when it was part of the School of Dramatic Art and Speech in the College of Fine Arts. Students majored in correction and interpretation, preparing to work with children and adults with communication disorders. A graduate program was added in 1950, followed by a doctoral program in 1957 — Ohio University’s second such offering. By the mid-1960s, the speech and drama programs had been split into separate entities, with the School of Hearing and Speech Sciences housed in various locations around campus: Kantner Hall, then Ewing Hall, then Lindley Hall.
The School of Hearing and Speech Sciences was one of the founding members of the newly created College of Health and Human Services in 1979. When the constituent schools of the college moved into the renovated Grover Center in 2001, the school added “Language” to its name. During the academic restructuring that created the College of Health Sciences and Professions in 2010, the school was renamed Communication Sciences and Disorders and joined with Physical Therapy to form the School of Rehabilitation and Communication Sciences.