Damian Nance is Distinguished Professor of Geological Sciences at Ohio University. He joined the department in 1980, following four years on the faculty of St. Francis Xavier University in Canada. He has held visiting research positions at Louisiana State University, Oxford Brookes University, the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, and St. Francis Xavier University as the W.F. James Professor of Pure and Applied Science.
Nance is a native of Cornwall, U.K., and a graduate of the University of Cambridge where he studied the application of plate tectonic theory to the development of ancient mountain belts and developed his research interest in tectonic activity and large-scale geodynamic processes. In 1982, Nance and fellow department member, Tom Worsley, proposed the supercontinent cycle, the now-substantiated theory that the Earth’s geologic, climatic and biological evolution has been dominated by the episodic assembly and breakup of supercontinents.
Nance has twice received the College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Teacher Award, he has been twice nominated for the University’s Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award, and has toured as a distinguished lecturer for the Atlantic Provinces Intercollegiate Council for the Sciences. He has served as a peer review panelist for the Department of Energy and a research advisor for Argonne National Laboratories, and serves as Editor of GSA Today and is an Associate Editor of Gondwana Research and Geoscience Frontiers.
a) Origin and evolution of the Rheic Ocean and its role in the assembly of Pangea.
b) Late Precambrian-Paleozoic structural, kinematic and tectonothermal evolution of the Acatlan and Granjeno complexes, Mexico, and the Avalon terrane in Maritime Canada.
c) Late Precambrian continental reconstructions and the tectonic evolution of the Avalonian-Cadomian belt in the northern Appalachians and western Europe.
d) The supercontinent cycle and Earth's long-term tectonic, geochemical, climatic and biological history.
e) Pleistocene glacial and neotectonic history of Mt. Olympus, Greece.
f) Dextral transpression and Late Carboniferous sedimentation in Maritime Canada.
- Murphy, J.B. and Nance, R.D., in press. Speculations on the mechanisms for the formation and breakup of supercontinents. Geoscience Frontiers.
- Nance, R.D., Gutiérrez-Alonso, G., Keppie, J.D., Linnemann, U., Murphy, J.B., Quesada, C., Strachan, R.A. and Woodcock, N.H. 2012. A brief history of the Rheic Ocean. Geoscience Frontiers, v. 3, 125-135.
- Keppie, J.D., Nance, R.D., Dostal, J., Lee, J.K.W. and Ortega-Rivera, A. 2012. Constraints on the subduction erosion/extrusion cycle in the Paleozoic Acatlán Complex of southern Mexico: geochemistry and geochronology of the type Piaxtla Suite. Gondwana Research, v. 21, p.1050-1065.
- Murphy, J.B., Pisarevsky, S.A. and Nance, R.D., 2012. Potential geodynamic relationships between the development of peripheral orogens along the northern margin of Gondwana and the amalgamation of West Gondwana. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, v. 164, doi: 10.1007/s00710-012-0207-9.
- Keppie, J.D., Dostal, J., Murphy, J.B., Galaz-Escanilla, G., Ramos-Arias, M.A. and Nance, R.D. 2012. High pressure rocks of the Acatlán Complex, southern Mexico: Large-scale subducted Ordovician rifted passive margin extruded into the upper plate during the Devonian–Carboniferous. Tectonophysics, v. 560-561, p. 1-21.
- Keppie, J.D. Murphy, J.B., Nance, R.D. and Dostal, J. 2012. Mesoproterozoic Oaxaquia-type basement in peri-Gondwanan terranes of Mexico, the Appalachians and Europe: TDM age constraints on extent and significance. International Geology Review, v. 54, p. 313-324.
- Trainor, R.J., Nance, R.D. and Keppie, J.D. 2011. Tectonothermal history of the Mesoproterozoic Novillo Gneiss of eastern Mexico: support for a coherent Oaxaquia microcontinent. Revista Mexicana de Ciencias Geológicas, v. 28, p 580-592.
- Murphy J.B., Cousens, B.L., Braid, J.A., Strachan, R.A., Dostal, J. Keppie, J.D. and Nance, R.D. 2011. Highly depleted oceanic lithosphere in the Rheic Ocean: Implications for Paleozoic plate reconstructions. Lithos, v. 123, p. 165-175.
- Keppie, J.D., Nance, R.D., Ramos-Arias, M.A., Lee, J.K.W., Dostal, J., Ortega-Rivera, A. and Murphy, J.B. 2010. Late Paleozoic subduction and exhumation of Cambro-Ordovician passive margin and arc rocks in the northern Acatlán Complex, southern Mexico: geochronological constraints. Tectonophysics, v. 495, p. 213-229.
- Nance, R.D., 2010. Miocene-Recent extension on the eastern flank of Mt. Olympus, Greece. Tectonophysics, v. 488, p. 282-292.
- Nance, R.D., Gutiérrez-Alonso, G., Keppie, J.D. Linnemann, U., Murphy, J.B., Quesada, C., Strachan, R.A. and Woodcock, N.H. 2010. Evolution of the Rheic Ocean. Gondwana Research, v. 17, p. 194-222.
- Keppie, J.D., Nance, R.D., Murphy, J.B., Dostal, J. and Braid, J.A. 2010. The high-pressure Iberian-Czech beltin the Variscan orogen: extrusion into the upper (Gondwanan) plate? Gondwana Research, v. 17, p. 306-316.
- Murphy, J.B., Keppie, J.D., Nance, R.D. and Dostal, J. 2010. Comparative evolution of the Iapetus and Rheic Oceans: A North America perspective. Gondwana Research, v. 17, p. 482-499.
- Nance, R.D., Keppie, J.D., Miller, B.V., Murphy, J.B. and Dostal, J., 2009. Palaeozoic palaeogeography of Mexico: Constraints from detrital zircon age data. Geological Society of London, Special Publication 327, 239–269.
- Murphy, J.B., Nance, R.D. and Cawood, P.A., 2009. Contrasting modes of supercontinent formation and the conundrum of Pangea. Gondwana Research, v. 15, p.408-420.
- Murphy, J.B., Nance, R.D., Gutiérrez-Alonso, G. and Keppie, J.D., 2009. Supercontinent reconstruction from recognition of leading continental edges. Geology, v. 37, p. 595-598.
- Click to see earlier publications.
Recent Advisee's MS Theses
- Trainor, R.J., 2010. Structural-metamorphic history of the Novillo Gneiss, Ciudad Victoria, Mexico. M.S. thesis, 117 p.
- Barley, B., 2006. Polyphase deformation in the northern Acaltan Complex: San Miquel Las Minas, Puebla, southern Mexico. M.S. thesis, 58 p.
- Grodzicki, K., 2006. Structural, geochemical, and geochronological analysis of the Coatlacco area, Acatlan Complex, southern Mexico. M.S. thesis, 98 p.
- Hinojosa-Prieto, H.R., 2006. Tectonothermal historty of the La Noria-Las Calaveras region, Acatlan Complex, southern Mexico: Implications for Paleozoic tectonic models. M.S. thesis, 137 p.
- Dowe, D.A., 2004. Deformational history of the Granjeno Schist near Ciudad Victoria, Mexico. M.S. thesis, 106 p.
- Wessel, Z.R., 2004. Structural analysis of a potential peri-Gondwanan detachment: George River Suite-Bras Gneiss contact relations in the Creignish Hills, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. M.S. thesis, 104 p.
- Malone, J.W., 2000. Structural and kinematic history of the Tecomate and Cosoltepec Fomations, Acatlan Complex, southern Mexico. M.S. thesis, 103 p.
- Thomas, D.A., 1999. Structural evolution of the Antigonish Basin, Nova Scotia, M.S. thesis, 82 p.
- GEOL 1200: The Mobile Earth
- GEOL 4/5020: International Field School
- GEOL 3/5600: Structural Geology
- GEOL 4/5610: Advanced Structural Geology
- GEOL 4/5640: Regional Tectonics
- GEOL 4/5660: Geodynamics
- GEOL 4/5480: Basin Tectonics & Hydrocarbon Exploration
- GEOL 4/5910: Field Geology
- Editor, GSA Today, 2011
- Associate Editor, Geoscience Frontiers, 2011
- Associate Editor, Gondwana Research, 2010
- Named Distinguished Professor, Ohio University, 2008
- Guest Editor, Gondwana Research, 2009
- Adjunct Professor, St. Francis Xavier University, Nova Scotia, 1999-2009
- Who’s Who in Science and Engineering 1996-2009
- American Men and Women of Science 1994-2009
- Editorial Board, Geological Magazine (Cambridge University Press) 1995-2006
- Editorial Board, Zeitschrift für Geologische Wissenschaften, (Dresden) 2001-2006
- Distinguished Faculty Award, Department of Geological Sciences, Ohio University 1992, 2003
- A to Z of Earth Scientists, Facts On File Notable Scientists Series, 1st Edition 2002
- Visiting Professor, Instituto de Geología, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. 2001
- Project Director, Program for North American Mobility in Higher Education 1996-2000
- W.F. James Professor of Pure and Applied Science, St. Francis Xavier University 1994
- College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Teacher Award, Ohio University 1992
- Distinguished Lecturer, Atlantic Provinces Intercollegiate Council for the Sciences 1989
- Peer Review Panelist, DOE Office of Nuclear Waste Isolation 1984-1988
- Ohio University Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award Nominee 1984, 1987
- Geological Society of America
- Ussher Society, U.K.
- Geological Association of Canada
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists
- Society for Industrial Archeology
- American Geophysical Union
- International Stationary Steam Engine Society
- Dartmoor Tinworking Research Society
- Trevithick Society, U.K
Selected Publications, continued
- Murphy, J.B., Gutiérrez-Alonso, G., Nance, R.D., Fernández-Suárez, J., Keppie, J.D., Quesada, C., Dostal, J. and Braid, J.A. 2009. Rheic Ocean mafic complexes: Overview and synthesis. Geological Society of London, Special Publication 327, 343–369.
- Nance, R.D., Keppie, J.D., Miller, B.V., Murphy, J.B. and Dostal, J. 2009. Palaeozoic palaeogeography of Mexico: Constraints from detrital zircon age data. Geological Society of London, Special Publication 327, p. 239–269.
- Keppie, J.D., Nance, R.D., Murphy, J.B., Miller, B.V., Dostal, J., and Ortega-Rivera, A., 2009. Pressure-temperature-time evolution of high pressure rocks of the Acatlán Complex (southern Mexico): implications for the evolution of the Iapetus and Rheic oceans: Comment. Geological Society of America Bulletin, v. 121, p. 1456-1459.
- Nance, R.D. and Linnemann, U., 2008. The Rheic Ocean: Origin, evolution and significance. GSA Today, v. 18, n. 12, p. 4-12.
- Nance, R.D., Murphy, J.B., Strachan, R.A., Keppie, J.D., Gutiérrez-Alonso, G., Fernández-Suárez, J., Quesada, C., Linnemann, U., D’Lemos, R.S. and Pisarevsky, S.A., 2008. Neoproterozoic-early Paleozoic paleogeography of the peri-Gondwanan terranes: Amazonian versus West African connections, in The Boundaries of the West African Craton, edited by N. Ennih and J-P. Liégeois. Geological Society of London, Special Publication 297, p. 345-383.
- Linnemann, U., Romer, R.L., Pin, C., Aleksandrowski, P., Bula, Z., Geisler, T., Kachlik, V., Krezeminska, E., Mazur, S., Motuza, G., Murphy, J.B., Nance, R.D., Pisarevsky, S.A., Schulz, B., Ulrich, J., Wiszniewska, J., Zaba, J., and Zeh, A. 2008. Precambrian, in The Geology of Central Europe, Volume 1, edited by T. McCann, Geological Society Publishing House, Bath, UK, p. 21-102.
- Murphy, J.B. and Nance, R.D., 2008. The Pangea conundrum. Geology, v. 36, p. 703-706.
- Hinojosa-Prieto, H., Nance, R.D., Keppie, J.D., Dostal, J., Ortega-Rivera, A. and Lee, J.W.K., 2008. Ordovician and Late Paleozoic-Early Mesozoic tectonothermal history of the La Noria area, northern Acatlán Complex, southern Mexico: Record of convergence in the Rheic and paleo-Pacific Oceans. Tectonophysics, v. 461, p. 324–342.
- Gutiérrez-Alonso, G., Fernández-Suárez, J., Weil, A.B., Murphy, J.B., Nance, R.D., Corfú, F. and Johnston, S.T., 2008. Self-subduction of the Pangean plate and the breakup of Panges. Nature Geoscience, v. 1, p. 549-553.
- Keppie, J.D., Dostal, J., Murphy, J.B. and Nance, R.D., 2008. Synthesis and tectonic interpretation of the westernmost Paleozoic Variscan orogen in southern Mexico: from rifted Rheic margin to active Pacific margin. Tectonophysics, v. 461, p. 277–290.
- Keppie, J.D., Dostal, J., Miller, B.V., Ramos-Arias, M.A., Morales-Gamez, M., Nance, R.D., Murphy, J.B., Ortega-Rivera, A., Lee, J.W.K., Housh, T. and Cooper, P., 2008. Ordovician-earliest Silurian rift tholeiites in the Acatlán Complex, southern Mexico: evidence of rifting on the southern margin of the Rheic Ocean. Tectonophysics, v. 461, p. 130–156.
- Grodzicki, K.R., Nance, R.D., Keppie, J.D., Dostal, J. and Murphy, J.D., 2008. Structural, geochemical and geochronological analysis of metasedimentary and metavolcanic rocks of the Coatlaco area, Acatlán Complex, southern Mexico. Tectonophysics, v. 461, p. 311-323.
- Murphy, J.B., Gutiérrez-Alonso, G., Nance, R.D., Fernández-Suárez, J., Keppie, J.D., Quesada, C., Strachan, R.A. and Dostal, J., 2008. Tectonic plates come apart at the seams. American Scientist, v.96, p. 129-137.