Radiation Safety Committee
Charge and Membership
The Radiation Safety Committee is mandated by the Ohio Department of Health and its purpose is to establish and to administer regulations concerning standards and procedures designed to minimize the hazards associated with the use of materials and equipment that emit radiation. Persons with expertise in applications of radioactive materials and radiation devices are preferred for membership due to the technical nature of the Committee's work.
The Radiation Safety Committee is required to meet at least once per calendar quarter.
This Committee reports to the Vice President for Finance and Administration via the Director of Environmental Health and Safety.
6 Ex-officio – One ex-officio member from each of the following areas:
• Radiation Safety Officer (voting)
• Alternative Radiation Safety Officer (voting)
• Purchasing - Familiar with radioactive purchasing and delivering
• Physical Plant - Familiar with the facilities and custodial maintenance of buildings in which radioactive material is used
• Innovation Center - Business uses of radioactive material
• Vice President for Finance and Administration or Designee
Biological and Chemical Safety Officer
VP for Finance and Administration
Director of Facilities Management
Biological and Chemical Safety Officer, Environmental Health & Safety
Associate Professor Physics and Astronomy
Shigeru (Nick) Okada PhD
Associate Investigator, Edison Biotechnology Institute
Associate Professor, Pediatrics, Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
Radiation Safety Committee 2021
All University committees follow the academic-year calendar.
All students serve one-year terms. Faculty, administrators, and staff generally serve three-year terms. Ex-Officio appointments have voting privileges unless otherwise noted.