Radiation Safety Committee
Charge and Membership
The purpose of the Radiation Safety Committee is to establish and to administer regulations concerning standards and procedures designed to minimize the hazards associated with the use of materials and equipment that emit radiation. Persons with expertise in applications of radioactive materials and radiation devices are preferred for membership due to the technical nature of the Committee's work.
The Radiation Safety Committee is required to meet at least once per quarter.
This Committee reports through the Director of Environmental Health and Safety to the Vice President for Administration.
Professor & Chair
Radiation Safety Committee 2020
Associate Professor Physics and Astronomy
Shigeru (Nick) Okada PhD
Associate Investigator, Edison Biotechnology Institute
Associate Professor, Pediatrics, Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
Radiation Safety Committee 2021
Radiation Safety Technician
VP for Finance and Administration
Director of Facilities Management
Radiation Safety Officer
- Chairman of Radiation Safety Committee - Faculty
- The Radiation Safety Officer - Administrator
- Alternate Radiation Safety Officer - Administrator
- Biological Sciences - Individual User of Radioactive Material(s) - Faculty
- Biomedical Sciences - Individual User of Radioactive Material(s) - Faculty
- Chemistry - Individual User of Radioactive Material(s) - Faculty
- Environmental and Plant Biology - Individual User of Radioactive Material(s) - Faculty
- Edison Biotechnology Institute - Individual User of Radioactive Material(s) - Faculty
- Edwards Accelerator Lab - Individual User of Radioactive Material(s) - Faculty
- Non-Voting Ex-Officio: Graduate Student - From a science department
- Non-Voting Ex-Officio: Administrator from Purchasing Department - Familiar with radioactive purchasing and delivering
- Non-Voting Ex-Officio: Administrator from Physical Plant - Familiar with the facilities and custodial maintenance of buildings in which radioactive material is used
- Non-Voting Ex-Officio: Administrator from Innovation Center - Business uses of radioactive material
- Non-Voting Ex-Officio: Administrator, Vice President for Finance and Administration or Designee
- Non-Voting Ex-Officio: Administrator
All University committees follow the academic-year calendar.
All students serve one-year terms. Faculty, administrators, and staff generally serve three-year terms. Ex-Officio appointments have voting privileges unless otherwise noted.