Intercollegiate Athletics Committee
Charge and Membership
General policies concerning athletics at Ohio University are determined by the President and Board of Trustees in consultation with the Director of Athletics.
The Intercollegiate Athletics Committee assists the President, Provost, Director of Athletics, and the NCAA Faculty Athletics Representatives in the interpretation and implementation of athletic policies. The ICA is an advisory group reporting to the President; it works closely with the Director of Athletics and the Athletic Department. The ICA membership, listed below, is comprised of student, faculty, staff and community representatives, plus the Director of Athletics and the Senior Woman Administrator.
The Committee is concerned with all facets of intercollegiate athletics at Ohio University. Policies and procedures pertaining to athletics are under the jurisdiction of the Committee subject to the approval of the President. Such matters include:
- Serve as liaison between student athletes and other members of the academic community. Review of major policy statements, motions and other significant matters to be introduced or acted on at MAC and/or the NCAA meetings.
- Review of Athletics Department gender equity plans, with a view to recommending specific actions to further progress toward compliance.
- Involvement in strategic planning efforts undertaken by the Athletics Department.
- Involvement in periodic self-study reviews as mandated by either the MAC or the NCAA.
- Periodic review of governance policies relating to such issues as student athlete eligibility processes, disciplinary practices and student absences from campus for athletic participation. Recommendations for alterations in practices, or the creation of new policies or practices may be made to the Director of Athletics and/or President as appropriate.
- Review of, and possible sponsorship of, academic and athletic awards presented to current student athletics.
- Representation on search committees for head coaches and/or senior staff by members of the Committee.
- Responding to requests from the President and/or Director of Athletics for recommendations on issues not covered in the above, as deemed appropriate or advisable.
On an on-going basis, most of the Committee's work will be in direct consultation with the Director of Athletics and other staff in the Athletics Department. As a means of keeping the President informed, minutes of meetings will be sent to the President on a regular basis.
Stephen Bergmeier PhD
Fellow, Edison Biotechnology Institute
Director, Medicinal Chemistry Center
Professor and Chair, Chemistry and Biochemistry
Graduate Director, Scripps
Faculty Athletic Representative
Associate Professor Sports Administration
Professor - Communication Studies
Thomas Vander Ven
Faculty Athletic Representative
Assistant Professor of Instruction, Sports Administration
Director of Development, Major Giving (Business)
Associate Director and Deputy Title IX Coordinator
Network Engineer II
Director of Athletics
Amy Dean, M.S.A
All University committees follow the academic-year calendar.
All students serve one-year terms. Faculty, administrators, and staff generally serve three-year terms. Ex-Officio appointments have voting privileges unless otherwise noted.