Pre-Law Day features law school and career panels, resume review and more on March 2
Pre-Law Day on March 2 is an excellent opportunity for pre-law students at Ohio University to connect with alumni and explore their interest in law school and the legal profession.
Students should register for Pre-Law Day on Handshake.
Pre-Law Day provides students who have an interest in legal education and legal careers with an opportunity to learn from Ohio University alumni who have gone on to law school.
The day features a series of panels and roundtable discussions with alumni who will speak about their law school and professional experiences. Students can attend as many panels as they desire and are encouraged to come with questions about law school, practicing law, and the legal profession.
Private equity and mergers and acquisitions attorney Leah Recht will deliver the keynote address at Pre-Law Day. Starting her career at Kirkland & Ellis LLP in Chicago, Recht moved her career from the Midwest to the West Coast and became partner at her current firm Orrick, in San Francisco, in 2021.
An advocate of pre-law education and social justice causes, Recht established the Center for Law, Justice and Culture (CLJC) Social Justice Internship Support Fund this past year to provide monetary support for undergraduates pursuing social justice internships with local legal organizations. Previously, Recht earned a B.A. in Psychology from OHIO's College of Arts and Sciences in 2006, followed by a J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center.
To conclude the program, students selected for scholarship and experiential learning awards from the Yousef Faroniya Scholarship in Law, Justice & Culture, the Law School Application Support Fund, and the Social Justice Internship Support Fund will be announced.
Pre-Law Day is sponsored by the Center for Law, Justice and Culture and the Honors Tutorial College.
Students with questions about law school or the legal profession should schedule a time to speak with CLJC Pre-Law Director Larry Hayman, Esq.
Pre-Law Day 2023 schedule
9:30 - 10:35 a.m. Panels
- Law School Advice – Baker 233
- Panelists: Lydia Wendel, Maddie Rettig, Mike Muth, Joseph Gibson, John Rubis
- Legal Networking – Baker 237
- Panelists: Leah Recht, Sean Gallagher, Marisa Saber, Leah Wolfe, Doug Lowe
- Gender and the Law – Baker 230
- Panelists: Megan Kelley, Caitlyn McDaniel, Clarke VanDervort, Tracy Meek
- Non-Traditional Legal Careers – Baker 239
- Panelists: David Crane, Pierce Reed, Robert Foehl, Micah Siegal
10:45 - 11:40 a.m. Panels
- Law School Advice – Baker 237
- Panelists: Pierce Reed, Doug Lowe, Leah Wolfe, Megan Kelley
- Social Justice and the Law – Baker 230
- Panelists: Caitlyn McDaniel, Clarke VanDervort, Maddie Rettig, Lydia Wendel
- Criminal Law – Baker 233
- Panelists: Tracy Meek, Joseph Gibson, Sean Gallagher, Mike Muth, David Crane
- Corporate Law – Baker 235
- Panelists: Robert Foehl, Marisa Saber, Leah Recht, Micah Siegal, John Rubis
11:50 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Keynote with Leah Recht
- Baker Theatre
1:15 - 2:00 p.m. Student Organization Presentations
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Mock Trial
- Students Defending Students
- Ohio Innocence Project-u
2:05 – 2:45 p.m. Roundtables
- Developing and Delivering Your Elevator Pitch/Why Should You Go to Law School? – Baker 233
- Attendees: Sean Gallagher, Robert Foehl, Micah Siegal, John Rubis
- Diversity in the Legal Profession – Baker 235
- Attendees: Pierce Reed, Mike Muth, Maddie Rettig
- This Year at the Supreme Court – Baker 237
- Attendees: Clarke VanDervort, David Crane, Marisa Saber, Leah Wolfe, Joseph Gibson
- Access to Justice – Baker 235
- Attendees: Caitlyn McDaniel, Leah Recht, Lydia Wendel, Tracy Meek
2:55 - 3:35 p.m. Law Resume Review – Baker 233 and 235
- Marisa Saber
- Micah Siegal
- Pierce Reed
- Lydia Wendel
- Clarke VanDervort
- Leah Recht
- John Rubis
- Maddie Rettig
- Mo Farunia
2:55 - 3:35 p.m. Chat with a Legal Bobcat – Baker Theatre Lounge
- David Crane
- Doug Lowe
- Mike Muth
- Tracy Meek
- Megan Kelley
- Caitlyn McDaniel
- Robert Foehl
- Joseph Gibson
- Sean Gallagher
3:40 - 4:10 p.m. Student Award Ceremony
- Baker Theatre