Top shares, top tips, hidden gems and more from the Scripps College of Communication in June
Scripps College of Communication graduate Ken Klein shares student, alumni and faculty news via social media. He is a volunteer assistant to the Scripps College of Communication at Ohio University.
Here is Klein’s June 2022 recap:
High-traffic social shares
- Scripps ’12 alumna Alex Stuckey at the Houston Chronicle won a Livingston Award for Young Journalists for her work on “In Crisis,” an examination of Texas’ mental health care system. Stuckey's comprehensive reporting explained Texas’ dwindling mental health care system, the people affected, and how the system can be improved.
- Rising senior Taylor Mondragon interviewed stars like Justin Chatwin of Showtime’s “Shameless” at the Dances with Films festival in Hollywood. Mondragon is currently an intern at Focus Hollywood, PBS SoCal, and FireVinyl while she participates in the OHIO in L.A. program.
- Professor Emeritus Terry Eiler published a Father’s Day tribute to his father in-law Chuck Scott (1924-2015), the legendary leader of Scripps photojournalism. Alumna Adrienne Helitzer commented on LinkedIn: “I remember Chuck used to say and chuckle, ‘It will all come out in the wash kid…’”
- Rising senior Dylan Theisen from Tallmadge, Ohio, is a multi-media intern for The Grassroot Project in Washington, D.C.. He was featured on day five of the week-long social media focus on Ohio University connections to Area Code 330 #Way2Go330. In Athens, Theisen works at WOUB with experience as a social media coordinator, graphic designer and television news producer.
- Summer intern Bryce Tinson ’24 called his first game with the Battle Creek Battle Jacks baseball team. Tinson is a reporter and on-air talent at WOUB.
- From Atlanta, Scripps ’21 alumnus Ethan Sands covers baseball for MLB.com. His experience includes a Scripps-in-DC internship (2019), WOUB, the student-run publication The Post, Los Angeles Times, and USA TODAY sports network in Louisiana.
- #ScrippsLegacyWeek honored D-Day reporter John R. Wilhelm, founding Dean of Scripps College of Communication.
- After winning the 2022 Istanbul Photo Awards for Breaking News Photography, VisCom graduate and Los Angeles Times photographer Marcus Yam retweeted our congratulatory post about his awards, which he won “for raw and urgent images of the U.S. departure from Afghanistan that capture the human cost of the historic change in the country.”
- OHIO graduate Dan Sewell ’77 was our most consistent retweeter.
- Kentucky Derby winning jockey Sonny Leon retweeted ’12 alumna Maddie McGarvey's photos published in The New York Times. McGarvey is a Columbus-based freelancer working for leading news organizations.
Gems worth repeating
- Director of Scripps’ OHIO-in-LA program, Roger Cooper, shared that more than 350 students have participated in the program in the past eight years.
- Abbey Marshall ’20 alumna and current reporter at Akron Beacon Journal was in a local production of “Hair.”
- Rising senior Mark (MJ) Beatty is a game-design intern at Cage Studios and social media intern at Lords of Gaming in Los Angeles.
- Just a few years out of school, alumna Lauren Cartwright ’18 has a global role at Kimberly-Clark for inclusion and diversity.
Thanks for the solid tips from
- Speech/debate coach Jennifer Talbert
Tip: speech and debate team member Taylor Mondragon interviews Hollywood stars
- WOUB/E.W. Scripps School of Journalism Director Emeritus Tom Hodson
Tip: Class of 2007 alumnus Jason Notoras-Espinosa joins Chevron as content strategist
- Professor Emeritus Terry Eiler
Tip: visual journalist alumnus Boyzell Hosey joins ProPublica as senior editor for visual storytelling
- Professor Aimee Edmondson
Tip: alumni participation at The Kalish, a premier visual storytelling conference
Contact Ken Klein