International Education Week celebration is Nov. 17-23
Ohio University will recognize International Education Week Nov. 17-23 with a variety of events and activities aimed to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. This joint national initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education is part of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs' efforts to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn and exchange experiences in the United States.
International Dinner, an opportunity for OHIO to celebrate the cultural diversity international students bring to its campus. The dinner has food from all over the world prepared by the International Student Union’s member organizations. will kick off on Ohio University’s Athens Campus at 6 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 17 with the
Monday, Nov. 18
• International Education Week Photo Contest opening will take place from 10 a.m. until noon in The Front Room Coffeehouse in Baker University Center. The International Education Week Photo Contest is an annual program sponsored by the Office of Global Opportunities. The competition is open to OHIO students, alumni, staff and faculty. This event celebrates the opening of the display of photos.
• Fulbright Scholars’ Panel will take place from 1-3 p.m. in Tupper Hall 304. Facilitated by Chris Lewis (Director of Nationally Competitive Awards) and Lijing Yang (Assistant Professor, Department of Counseling and Higher Education), the panelist will discuss the impact of Fulbright study-abroad opportunity on their American identity, graduate school, career development, and global competence.
Tuesday, Nov. 19
• CIS Research and Creativity Award Lecture will take place from noon to 1 p.m. in Baker University Center 242. The lecture, titled, “Embodied memories of displacement: Using participatory art and mapping for understanding and reconciliation in Colombia,” will be given by Risa Whitson, an associate professor in the Department of Geography and the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program at OHIO.
Wednesday, Nov. 20
• Global Engagement Awards Gala will take place from 5 to 8 p.m. in Walter Hall Rotunda. The gala honors faculty, staff, alumni and community for outstanding achievements in global engagement. The event also recognizes a Chubu University faculty member for excellence in global engagement. This event will be live-streamed.
Thursday, Nov. 21
• Inaugural Rajindar K. Koshal Lecture and 2019 International Education Week Keynote Address will take place from 7-8:30 p.m. in Walter Hall Rotunda. Bhanu Kapil’s lecture is titled, “Notes for the Future Before it Has Arrived: The coming Power of the Stranger.” This event will be live-streamed. Kapil will also hold a conversation hour with interested students to discuss creative process and practice. This informal event will be held on the same day from 10 to 11:30 a.m. in Yamada International House room 009.
Ohio University’s regional campuses are also recognizing International Education Week. OHIO’s Lancaster Campus will host a Diversity in Comics Roundtable from 4-5 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 21. More information is available here.
OHIO Zanesville has a number of events scheduled to recognize IEW, including an International Film Screening, Origami Workshop and much more. For a complete list of events, please visit this website.