IEW 2021 Videos
Many of the exciting events during IEW, from Panels to partnership Meetings to the IEW Gala are captured and shared here. Click through videos and learn more about these vibrant events.
The International Education Week Committee recognizes and champions the efforts of many members of the OHIO community who have shown resilience as they worked so hard, and often gone above and beyond, to support our students, advance research and outreach, and create new and innovative ways to continue global engagement.
We are pleased to celebrate OHIO’s collective efforts through a broad and inclusive celebration of all nominees. Watch the full IEW Gala here, or scroll below to check out our nominees in each category!
Last year required resilience in many respects, but certainly for our global education, research, mobility, and outreach efforts. Ohio University's collective experiences of global resilience are captured through highlights in this video; enjoy a glimpse at our global footprints during the pandemic.
Celebrating Faculty Global Resilience
- Geoff Buckley, Professor, Geography, CAS
- Risa Whitson, Professor, Geography and Women’s Gender & Sexuality Studies, CAS
- Ohio Program of Intensive English (OPIE)Kyle Butler, Rebecca Challenger, Aaron Schwartz
- Greg-Victor Obi, Assistant Professor, Management, COB, RHE Chillicothe
- Andre Gribou, Professor, Composition and General Studies, School of Music, COFA
- Shelley Gruendler, Assistant Professor and Area Chair, Graphic Design, School of Art and Design, COFA
- Ghirmai Negash, Professor, English & African Literature, CAS; Director, African Studies, CIS
- Ilana Chertok, Professor and Associate Director, Nursing Research and Scholarship, CHSP
- Benjamin Bates, Barbara Geralds Schoonover Professor, Health Communication, School of Communication Studies, Scripps Comm
- Jieli Li, Professor, Sociology and Anthropology, CAS
- B. David Ridpath, Associate Professor, Sports Management, COB
- Gregory Foley, Robert L. Morton Endowed Chair, Mathematics Education, Patton Education
- Matthew LeRiche, Assistant Professor and Director, Global Leadership Center, CIS
- Saumya Pant, Professor of Instruction, School of Media Arts and Studies, Scripps Comm; Director, Communication and Development, CIS
- Theodor Muir, Assistant Professor of Instruction, Marketing, COB
Celebrating Staff Global Resilience
Kirsten Dabelko, Assistant Director of Global Security, Health and Safety, Office of Global Opportunities
- Jennifer Nisevich, Associate Director of International Student and Faculty Services
- Diane Cahill, Director of International Student and Faculty Services
Celebrating Alumni Global Resilience
- Kevin Dennis, BA English ‘15
- Manaf Afyouni, BBA ‘86, MAIA, International Development Studies ‘87
- Lucky Wakantse Odirile, MA Counseling ’92, PhD Counselor Education ‘00
Celebrating Community Global Resilience
The OHIO experience does not occur in a vacuum. The Athens community at large has been a very special partner in many global engagement efforts, including support of international students and immigrants. We are pleased to Celebrate the efforts of the Athens United Immigrant Support Project
Thank you, Joanna Mitchell, Erin Perko, Debbie and John Schmieding, Kerri Shaw, Anne Sparks, and Zach Reizes!
The Tanaka-OHIO award recognizes faculty and staff at Ohio University’s long-time strategic partner, Chubu University, for their outstanding contributions to international education & research, global competency, and international programs at Chubu University.
This year, we are proud to celebrate Professor Nobuyuki Kawauchi.
Since joining Chubu University 23 years ago, Professor Kawauchi has made significant contributions toward the support of international exchange, as well as the development of the invaluable relationship between Ohio University and Chubu University. He has been a strong supporter of the development of the OHIO Choki Study Abroad Program, encouraging many students to expand their horizons with study abroad. In 2013, he served as a Glidden Visiting Professor at Ohio University and actively engaged in the renewal of the Cooperative Agreement between Ohio University and Chubu University.
Bobcats Abroad and in the U.S. — Alumni Impacting Global Education
During Homecoming Week, the Ohio University Alumni Association, Center for International Studies and Office of Global Affairs hosted a conversation, “Bobcats Abroad and in the U.S. — Alumni Impacting Global Education.” President Hugh Sherman and a panel of international alumni, who are either in the U.S. or abroad, shared how they are giving back and making an impact in their communities. They also discussed how their time at Ohio University has helped to prepare them to do so.
Moderator: Dr. Lucky Wakantse Odirile, Director of Careers and Counselling Centre, University of Botswana; Robert and Rene Glidden Visiting Professor, Ohio University
- Dr. Mohad Anizu Bin Mohd Nor, Dean and Professor at the Faculty of Sport Science and Recreation, Universiti Teknologi Mara, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
- Dr. Ariel C. Armony, Vice Provost for Global Affairs and Director of the University Center for International Studies, University of Pittsburgh
- Dr. Steve Davies Ugbah, Emeritus Professor of Marketing, California State University, East Bay
- Dr. Stevina Evuleocha, Professor (Emerita) of Marketing and Entrepreneurship, College of Business and Economics, California State University, East Bay
- Mirna J. Kolbowski, CPA, Director of Finance, Latin American Studies Association
- Dr. Hugh Sherman, President, Ohio University
Andijan State University, Uzbekistan: Welcome and Presentation
The Ohio Intensive English Program (OPIE) and the Office of Global Affairs proudly welcomed delegates from the Andijan State University (ASU) in Uzbekistan for a Welcome Reception and Presentation on Wednesday, November 17 from 2:00-3:00 in the Baker 1804 Lounge to learn more about ASU and network to explore partnership opportunities.
- Dr. Farhod Alimov, Head of the International Department
- Dr. Dilshodbek Rustamov, Dean of the Faculty of English Language & Literature
- Dr. Shohida Shahabitdinova, Dean of Distance Learning Faculty
- Dr. Dilrabo Ahmadalieva, Professor, Faculty of English Language & Literature
International Alumni Panel: “Maximize your OHIO Experience”
Panelists shared insights about resources and opportunities at OHIO which helped them to “Maximize their OHIO Experience,” which positively impacted both their academic careers while in Athens and the trajectory of their paths after graduation.
Facilitators: Lisa Milne and Anna-Kaye Rowe. Panelists: Regina Yoong, Richard Quarshie and Karma Armani.