Newly Admitted Students
Welcome to Ohio University and congratulations on joining the Center for International Studies! We are excited to have you as part of the Bobcat Family and we will be happy to help you throughout your time on campus.
We hope you will stop into the Yamada International House when you arrive in Athens. Our office is located at 56 E. Union St. (on the College Green, at the top of Jefferson Hill and near Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.) We look forward to meeting you and assisting you during your time at OHIO.
Undergraduate Orientation Programs
Bobcat Student Orientation connects the new students, either first-year or transfer, with the people and resources they need to transition into OHIO with confidence.
The office of First-Year and Student Transitions (FYrST) provides programs that help first year Bobcats succeed academically and socially at Ohio University.
CIS Graduate Student Orientation
CIS graduate student orientation will be held on August 21, 2023. More details will be provided via email as the date approaches.
Graduate College Orientation
The Graduate Student Orientation page will provide additional details.
International Student Orientation
International Student Orientation provides the opportunity for new international students to explore the critical resources on and off campus and to manage their cross-cultural transition. Details will be posted here when they come available.
Information for All Incoming Graduate Students
- Your “My OHIO” Account: If you haven’t done so already, please log in to your student account. Among other things, through that website you can officially notify the graduate college of your intention to enroll at Ohio University. Also, many of you still have official documents that you need to submit to complete your admissions process (such as submitting official transcripts to the graduate college when you arrive on campus, etc.). You can identify the status of those matters through your “My OHIO” account, so please check that as soon as possible.
- Orientations: All Center for International Studies incoming students will need to attend the Graduate College Orientation and the Center for International Studies orientations. International students are additionally required to attend the International Student orientation. It important to attend all of these orientations, as each one will cover different materials.
- Graduate College Student Orientation: The university will hold a general orientation for all new graduate students (TBD).
- Center for International Studies Orientation: August 21, 2023.
- Registering for Classes: Center for International Studies graduate students will be able to register for the fall semester during the CIS in-person orientation on August 21.
Information for International Students
Arrival: Make sure your flight reservations are to Columbus, Ohio (Port Columbus International Airport). Transportation options from the airport to Athens are noted on the International Student and Scholar Services website. You are expected to check in with International Services at the Walter International Education Center after you arrive on campus.
International Student Orientation: The dates of Ohio University's required orientation for international graduate and undergraduate students will be posted here when the information is available.
TOEFL requirement: All international students are required to take a new TOEFL test administered by the Ohio Program of Intensive English. The only exemption from this test is for students who have already met the Center for International Studies’ requirements of a 550 and a 5 on the writing. The dates of the tests are TBD. Additional information will be available through International Student and Scholar Services.
For additional information, contact the Center for International Studies by calling our offices at 740-593-1840 or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.