Scripps students shine at OHIO’s Leadership Gala
ATHENS, Ohio (June 7, 2011)—More than a dozen Scripps College of Communication students were honored at Ohio University’s Leadership Awards Gala conducted May 18, 2011, in Baker University Center on Ohio University’s main campus.
According to the Division of Student Affairs website, the Leadership Recognition Reception was established in 1983 to recognize the outstanding work of individuals and student organizations on the Ohio University campus and its surrounding community. In 2008, for the event's 25th anniversary, the Division of Student Affairs transformed the reception to what is now known as its premier event, the Leadership Awards Gala, a celebration of students and their outstanding demonstration of character, commitment, civility, community, and citizenship.
The event was hosted by Scripps students Trevor Tomlinson, of the J. Warren McClure School of Telecommunication Management Systems, and Brittany Balandis, of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism.
Four of nine recipients of the Outstanding Senior Leader Award were Scripps students. They include Sarah Kelly, Ashley Laber, Jesse Neader and Lacey Rogers.Other winners include:
- Brandon Logan, Lean Petrovich, Briana Simmons and Cara Truesdell, Pepsi University Campus Leadership Scholarships
- Lacey Rogers, Stonewall Leadership Award & Women’s Issues leadership Award
- Kay-Anne Darlington, Charles J. Ping International Student Leadership Award
- Crystalyn Thomas Davis, Francine Childs Diversity Leadership Award
- Amber R. Skorpenske, Latino Heritage Award
- Kayla Hardimon, Danielle Parker, Alexzandria Reasor & Trevor Tomlinson, Blackburn-Spencer Scholarship Award
-From staff reports