History of the Communication Sciences and Disorders at Ohio University
Like Ohio University, the oldest institution of higher education in the Northwest Territory (1804), the Communication Sciences and Disorders program has a long, rich tradition. Its origins date to 1937, when it was part of the School of Dramatic Art and Speech in the College of Fine Arts. Students majored in correction and interpretation, preparing to work with children and adults with communication disorders. The first fall conference of the Ohio Speech and Hearing Association was held in Athens in 1946. The program has been educating graduate students since 1950, and in 1957 became the second doctoral program established at Ohio University.
The Ohio University Hearing, Speech and Language Clinic, also established in 1937, was first located in Wilson Hall on the historic College Green. The clinic and School of Dramatic Art and Speech both moved to the Speech Building in 1951, which was built specifically to house them. In 1972, the Speech Building was renamed Kantner Hall, acknowledging his role as the "Father of Communication" at Ohio University.
Around 1966, what was then the School of Hearing and Speech Sciences moved to Ewing Hall, which was originally built to provide an assembly auditorium for the University. When it became apparent that the building was fated for razing due to high maintenance costs, departments and schools began moving to other locations. The School of Hearing and Speech Sciences then moved into newly renovated Lindley Hall.
In 1979, the School of Hearing and Speech Sciences joined the newly created College of Health and Human Services. During the summer of 2001, the School moved into newly renovated Grover Center along with the five other schools of the College of Health and Human Services. The School also changed its name to add "Language."
In 2010, as part of an academic restructuring, the college was renamed the College of Health Sciences and Professions. The School of Hearing, Speech and Language Sciences was renamed Communication Sciences and Disorders and joined the Physical Therapy program to form the School of Rehabilitation and Communication Sciences.