The Spectrum Engineering team supports the FAA Office of Spectrum Management plus spectrum engineering efforts from other agencies. The Spectrum Engineering team is responsible for several different research areas:
- Airspace Analysis Model - Analyzes the impact of commercial transmitters on VHF navigation frequencies.
- Automated Frequency Manager - Support tool that analyzes frequency allocation tasks.
- RF Interference Measurement System - an airborne system that detects VHF-band or GPS-band interference.
- Radar interference - analyzes interference to enroute and terminal area radar systems.
- Airport Surface Wireless Network - explores a new airport information network that can be implemented using aviation band frequencies.
- UWB - investigates the effects of Ultra-wideband systems on aviation frequencies.
The Spectrum Engineering Team