Search within:

Did You Know/Frequently Asked Questions

Did You Know? | Frequently Asked Questions

Did you know... Discounted and free college entrance exam courses are offered to dependents of retired military personnel? Eligible recipients include Service Members from all branches of the military who are active duty, retired, veterans, Guard, Reserve, DoD employees, and civilians performing military support. Also eligible are relatives and dependents of anyone who otherwise qualifies from the prior list. Order online at: or call 951-256-4076 (refer to ).

Did you know... TRICARE provides high-quality health care for dependents of retired veterans? Children and dependents of retired military members are eligible to receive health care benefits through the TRICARE program. The program provides health care resources through networks of health professionals, institutions and pharmacies, in an effort to provide military families with quality health care.

Did you know... There is a special provision of the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at") that allows career service members to share their remaining GI Bill® (education) benefits with immediate family members? Meaning, anything left unused by the service member can be transferred as long as the service member is on Active Duty. For more information visit

Did you know... Ohio University veterans and dependents have access to free tutoring at the Academic Advancement Center in Alden Library?

Did you know... The Spouse and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans? The program offers up to 36 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Did you know... As a veteran retired or separated, you are entitled to 5 years of cost free Health Care for injury and illness related to your service? Enroll at, by phone (877-222-VETS), or in person at a VA Medical Clinic. For VA purposes Reserves and National Guard are eligible only if they have been activated.

Did you know... If you deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan, or Djibouti after Sept 11, 2001, you are eligible to register in the Airborne Hazards and Open Burn Pit Registry? This registry’s purpose is to track and treat possible adverse effects from exposure to burn pits and other hazards. To learn more go to

Did you know... The VA has a number of loan and grant programs? To find out if you are eligible, contact the Athens County Vet Service Office. Phone: 740-592-3216 or visit

Did you know... If you were previously enrolled in the Montgomery GI Bill® and converted to the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, you are eligible to receive a proportional refund of the $1200 dollars enrollment fee, based on the number of months remaining under the Montgomery GI Bill? For more information visit,

Did you know... The Post 9/11 GI Bill® does not provide pay while you are not attending classes? So, if you take a semester off you will stop receiving benefits!

Did you know… You can still apply for FAFSA each academic year?

Did you know… Through the VA you can get the Veterans Group Life Insurance, which is similar to the SGLI?

Did you know… The VA will compensate you for travel costs when going to a VA appointment if you are going to see a specialist or specialty clinic that those services are not offered at your normal VA clinic?

Did you know… For Chapter 33/Post 9-11, your BAH rate is determined by where the main campus of your school is located?

Did you know… If you served in Afghanistan after Oct. 7, 2001, you are eligible for a cash bonus from the state of Ohio? For more details and to apply, go to


Do I qualify for in-state tuition as a veteran?

A veteran and his or her family are eligible for in state tuition if they meet the following requirements:

  • Be honorably discharged from the Armed Forces (DD214).
  • Provide a written and signed declaration relinquishing residency in any other state and stating that they do not maintain a residency in another state.
  • Provide objective evidence that they have relinquished residency elsewhere.
Can I receive Federal Tuition Assistance and the GI Bill® at the same time?

Yes and No.  If you are active duty, you may use Federal Tuition Assistance and the GI Bill® together.  If you are using Chapter 1606 or 1607 education benefits, you CANNOT use both Federal Tuition Assistance and the GI Bill® together.  You must choose one or the other.  

However, there are conflicts with Chapter 33. If you are receiving Chapter 33 benefits, the cost of tuition will be deducted from your GI Bill® if you are receiving Tuition Assistance.  

Does GI Bill® cover the cost of taking the GRE, etc?

You may be eligible for reimbursement and will have to work directly with the VA for reimbursement.  The VA will cover the cost of some tests, but not the fees associated with the testing process.  Visit the VA website for more information.

What do I need to do to get my educational benefits started at Ohio University?

First, apply for you GI Bill® benefits at the VA website.  Then, once you receive your Certification of Eligibility (COE), bring that document to the Brigadier General James M. Abraham & Colonel Arlene F. Greenfield Veterans and Military Student Services Center, located in Baker University Center 350.  We will need a copy of your COE, DD214 member 4 (if you have one), VONAPP (if you have a hard copy), and the Ohio University Veterans Educational Assistance File Card.  This card can be filled out on line on the Veterans Center homepage at home or in the Veteran Center.  

Are VA education benefits taxable?

No. Any veteran benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  You will not receive a W-2 from the VA.

How often must I fill out a file card?

Beginning with the Fall 2015 semester, only ONE file card is required for the academic year, to include the summer. 

How do I find out if I have benefits left?

Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

How do I verify enrollment at Ohio University with the VA?

Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 must verify enrollment monthly through the WAVE website ( ) or you can call 1-888-823-2378.  

What is considered full time?

Undergraduate students taking a minimum of 12 credit hours are considered full time. Graduate students are full time with 9 credit hours.

Can I be eligible for two or more education benefits through the VA?

Yes, you may be eligible for more than one VA education benefit program.  However, you may only receive payments from one program at a time.  You can receive a maximum of 48 months of benefits under any combination of VA education programs you qualify for.  For more information, contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

What happens if the BAH rate changes for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®?

Public Law 111-377 states that if the BAH rate increases for your area, your BAH will increase the following month.  If the rate decreases, your BAH rate will not change unless you change schools or have a six month break in classes.

How do I receive credit for military training?

Any credit will be evaluated by the university.  A Joint Service Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript is required.  The JST can be obtained at and the CCAF transcript can be obtained by completed the CCAF Transcript Request Form at

Can I receive VA education benefits while attending school in a foreign country?

Yes.  There are two situations in which you may receive VA benefits in a foreign country:

  1. You are attending a U.S. school but actually attending class in a foreign country. Course(s) must be approved by the State Approving Agency and apply towards your degree.
  2. You are attending a non U.S. school—you must contact the VA first to see if the selected school is approved.
What type of active duty counts for a Guard or Reserve member regarding the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

The following active duty qualifies for Post-9/11 GI Bill® eligibility:

  • All Title 10 active duty supporting named contingency operations
  • Title 32 service for the purpose of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing or training the National Guard
  • Title 32 service under section 502(f) for the purpose of responding to a national emergency
  • All voluntary active duty, with the exception of active duty for medical care and medical evaluation

All forms of inactive duty training (drills and funeral hours), as well as annual training, do NOT qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® education benefit.

What type of training does the Post-9/11 GI Bill® cover?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® may be used for the following types of training:

  • Institutions of Higher Learning (degree granting institutions)
  • Non-college degree schools (vocational & technical training)
  • Apprenticeship/on-the-job training programs
  • Licensing & Certification training
  • National testing programs
  • Flight training programs
  • Correspondence training
  • Tutorial assistance