Southern Campus Master Plan
The Southern campus portfolio includes the main campus in Ironton, Proctorville Center and several other facilities in the region. Originally established in 1956, the 14-acre main campus in Ironton is located between the Ohio River and the Ohio River Scenic Byway. The Southern campus is 82 miles south of Athens and features nine buildings totaling 149,788 gross square feet – including Collins Center, the Vern Riffe Center, and the Dingus Technology Center. More than 2,000 students attend classes at the Ironton campus. Proctorville Center, located in eastern Lawrence County on the border with West Virginia, is a single 20,194 GSF academic and administrative building called “Greg Smith Hall” on 19 acres. There are also 48 wooded acres along State Highway 141 at Hecla, two miles to the north.
A master plan of the Ironton campus, completed in 2002, provides site identification for two new buildings and improved green space throughout the 14-acre site.